We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Not hearing Hudson Valley TIS lately 1710kHz.  (Read 1124 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Not hearing Hudson Valley TIS lately 1710kHz.
« on: July 16, 2021, 1916 UTC »
Yeah... For several weeks, I haven't heard that 100W Hudson Valley TIS from NJ. (Can't say as I miss them.) So, does that leave 1710kHz semi-open again? Hmmmmmmm???
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: Not hearing Hudson Valley TIS lately 1710kHz.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 2140 UTC »
It was nice to log the DX at first... then it became a pest.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 2309 UTC »
Sadly, I am hearing the completely useless Hudson County TIS station on 1710 at 2308 UTC 18 JUL 2021.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 1403 UTC »
Hey All.

Yes ,1710 Kc is probably the “ best” place to “play” due to it using short antennas.

But at least here, the X band has enough
open frequencies close to 1710 that it doesn’t matter.So I can QSY without any noticeable issues.

I DO have a 1 MC crystal  that is almost the size of a pack of Marlboros :)) .It’s another story completely.

But frankly , now my AM tx “goals “are to only cover maybe 200 ft East and also from my basement shop to the 2nd floor shack.Should be “ easy “ ( when I get to it - LOTS on the bench right now and only limited time to work on stuff.).

K
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 1206 UTC »
1710 is pretty much useless now in most of the northeast USA due to the Hudson County TIS. But 1720 is clear  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree