We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Best band to start broadcasting pirate SW on at night?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline bran1har

• View Profile
Best band to start broadcasting pirate SW on at night?
« on: January 04, 2022, 2326 UTC »
What is the best band to start broadcasting pirate SW on at night time? 4Mhz, 7Mhz, 9Mhz, etc? THoughts

Offline Big Badfish Al

• DXing Phenomena
  • Central Pennsylvania
  • FFFR and 73's mateys
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best band to start broadcasting pirate SW on at night?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 2345 UTC »
1720 to 1750 MW
4020 to 4200 SW
6900 to 7000 SW is good but tons of stations there from pirates to data to experimental stations and jammers

In the winter time,  theses are the best.

9000 to 10000 is good for later afternoon before sunset to like 1 hours after. All depends on the frequency.
Reciever: Degen DE-1103

PSE-QSL to big_badfish_al@proton.me Note new email address.
Listening to pirate radio since 1980 on the EAST COAST USA - located in Central PA USA
73's and FFFR 
Favorite stations of the past were WDX, KPRC, KQRP,  Radio Clandestine, Radio Newyork International, and The Electric Budda.

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 0358 UTC »
What is the best band to start broadcasting pirate SW on at night time? 4Mhz, 7Mhz, 9Mhz, etc? THoughts

I'm going to turn this around and ask you, "What are you seeking to do?" "What sort of range are you seeking to cover?" "What would you consider to be "best"?

43 meters (6900+ KHz) goes "long" after dark but coverage can be spotty, depending upon a variety of factors. 73 meters (4000+ KHz) is more of a regional band and perhaps more predictable but requires a larger antenna.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 0742 UTC »
That's what I was going to ask on what coverage would be desired, regional, or other-side-of-the-world, coverage? Ya know, Sporadic E for Winter has just kicked-in, so be monitoring the CB 27MHz band for those short-skip stations that can be heard from early evening to even past midnight. There's still that little used 11M International Broadcast Band from 25.670MHz - 26.100MHz. 5W on AM to a 1/2-wave 11M dipole could do wonders there. The most listeners that ya might get would be CB Outbanders, but what comments might ya kick up after doing a broadcast. Certainly, can give you an idea that you have been heard. (Hi-hi...) Do forget to try and use DX Maps,    https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=W2LN&HF=N&DXC=ING2&GL=S
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Best band to start broadcasting pirate SW on at nigh
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 1118 UTC »
MUF and foF2 can help plan a HF activity, be it amateur radio, pirate radio, etc. Note the maps are estimates, but the general idea is MUF is the max frequency for usable DX and foF2 is the max frequency for usable NVIS.

https://prop.kc2g.com/about/

Monitor the above linked maps for a couple of days, and you will see why the suggestions by Charlie_Dont_Surf are popular hotspots for pirate radio broadcasts.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 1556 UTC »
It also depends of the location where you are!

Andre
CoolAM Radio/OHR
the Netherlands
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 1605 UTC by CoolAM Radio »
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 1911 UTC »
As others have stated, it depends on where you are and who you are trying to reach.  You can use the VOA propagation tool to get an idea of where you can be heard with different power levels, antennas, and time of day, frequency, etc.   https://www.voacap.com/hf/ This is what I use to test various 'what if' questions.  Just remember, power stated is in PEP, not carrier.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns