We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: WFED : Tubey Or Not Tubey  (Read 367 times)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
WFED : Tubey Or Not Tubey
« on: July 21, 2021, 1121 UTC »
Hey All,

Lately I've been fooling around with a 1950's era Motorola 19F1 HS 230C nine tubey chassis pulled from a floor  console radio phono.

It's a nice rig, with great audio. Currently only using an indoor 25 ft ant and 120 VAC ground. The antenna is wound on a ferrite  tank    with only 3 turns. Cold end of antenna is left ungrounded. Peaking the tank brings things up a good bit. Band opened up kind  of  late , but once it  did things rolled in  nicely.

I really enjoy the nostalgia of seeing and using tubes - NICE orange glow !

Back up /spotter was my ATS 803A solid state ("non tubey") digital portable. Used to line up FED and others- no scale on Moto.

7/20/21 0100 UTC

630 WPRO RI, weak
650 WSRO MA good
660 WFAN NY fair
710 WOR NY fair to good
880 WCBS NY fair to good
1010 WINS NY good  ( I parked there for  a while)
1500 WFED DC good
1510 WMEX MA ( Also parked there for a while -MUCH better format now !)

Also copied a LOT of regionals /locals /graveyards and unid DX.

A few days ago I had KDKA 1020 on the Moto up against a crushing WBZ  on 1030. 'DKA never really puts in a good signal here and is a bit of a tough catch at times.Even my best rigs are often only fair or worse .

A nice long session on BCB.

I am going to improve antenna and design it for eventual Part 15 transmit and BCB /LW receive.

Indoor antennas are obviously not ideal, but I just have to look at it as "involuntary QRP" :).

I also have a 60 ft run of unused telephone pair available. So far it only  grabs a lot of noise, but  it might be  OK to use   as a counterpoise later.

TONS of stuff on bench, but only so much time. Five foot Octoloop nearing completion.It will initially use 660/46 and a wiperless 4 gang  ceramic , 6:1 ball driven.

Yesterday I also refurbished and painted a second set of book shelves and will soon  double my  bedside operating position.

K
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 1600 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline Ct Yankee

• DXing Phenomena
  • RX hummingbird using my longwire in Durham CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WFED : Tubey Or Not Tubey
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 1352 UTC »
I also enjoy radio more on tubes, partly for nostalgia, but mainly for sound.  I don't know if anything beats the resonance of a quality wood cabinet, my Zenith Console has made my house sound like a music hall at times.  I have three from the 30's that I use when reception is crisp and music outstanding.  I have sent video clips to broadcasters of their programs on these oldies and they have enjoyed the full textured sound.  tAC put my Zenith Console on an eQSL after getting a clip.

Good luck with your projects.  If there is ever something beyond your capabilities, there is a guy in the Northeast corner of Connecticut that does great work for reasonable prices.  Albeit, there is usually lag time as he gets backed up with work.

https://radiorestoration.simdif.com/index.html

Oh yes, while in an antique store in Martinez, California recently - I spotted an old radio artifact I had never seen for sale before.  Sheets of radio call letters which would fit in antique radios for one button tuning.  Literally hundreds of "C", "K", and "W" stations (no duplicates) on several dozen sheets.  It looked like the only missing call letters were for 1 or 2 radios.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 1400 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire. 
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 1609 UTC »
Hey Yankee,

Thanks for the tip on restorations, NE CT is a reasonable drive.

Many years ago I had a BIG floor model Zenith ( I’d have to check for model number, which escapes me now).
So I have also experienced BIG CRISP Zenith audio.

The audio from a crystal set can also be stunning when used on a good reproducer.

The Gernsback Interflex circuit ( haven’t tried it yet) might be an interesting hybrid of clean crystal radio RF and nice tube AF.

I have a couple of extra 4 pins and a spare type 30 or two so I could put an outboard tube amp on an existing crystal set.

So many projects, so little time :).

Nice find on the call sign sheet.

K

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 1614 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 1935 UTC »

Oh yes, while in an antique store in Martinez, California recently - I spotted an old radio artifact I had never seen for sale before.  Sheets of radio call letters which would fit in antique radios for one button tuning.  Literally hundreds of "C", "K", and "W" stations (no duplicates) on several dozen sheets.  It looked like the only missing call letters were for 1 or 2 radios.

Many, many years ago had a couple of 30's vintage Crosley AM/SW sets that had a slide rule dial with mechanical pushbutton tuning (like an old car radio).
The pushbuttons were labelled with call letters... WLW (of course), WCCO, and others which are forgotten, just like whatever happened to the radios.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 1946 UTC »

I really enjoy the nostalgia of seeing and using tubes - NICE orange glow !

The smell, don't forget the smell...  the musty old cotton covered insulation and wooden cabinet, the dust burning off the hot tubes...
an aroma like none other... enjoy along with the orange glow of the filaments, the purple haze of the voltage regulator, the green glow of the
cat-eye tuning, the amber hue of the dial light, ah yes along with the superb analog audio...

Offline East Troy Don

• "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 2043 UTC »
" Ooooo, that smell !...Love to smell that smell" !!  - LYNARD SKYNRD -

Ain' that the truth.   I have 2 vintage tubers:  a circa 1950 Zenith  AM/FM model H725 in Bakelite and a circa 1940  AM/SW  table top  "Standard Broadcast Mantola"  in Oak cabinet and wouldn't part with either. The richness of the sound is wonderful.    The Mantola also has 6 AM preset buttons:

WJR WWJ WXYT QJB:   All Detroit stations
CKLW.    Windsor, Ontario Canada.   Just outside of Detroit
WMC:  Memphis TN.  (i have NO idea why)
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Sangean ATS-909X .  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  90 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 2252 UTC »
Don,

Would love to have heard CKLW "The Big 8" back in its Drake formatted glory days playing on that radio. 

Offline East Troy Don

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 2312 UTC »
Drake format - haven't heard that term in a while.   Did a deep dive into NYT archives and came up with this:

Bill Drake, 71, Dies; Created a Winning Radio Style

By William Grimes
Dec. 1, 2008
Bill Drake, who transformed radio programming with a syndicated format that delivered more music, fewer commercials and high-energy “Boss Jocks” — D.J.’s big on personality but economical with words — died Saturday in Los Angeles. He was 71.

The cause was lung cancer, said Carole Scott, his companion.

In the 1960s, Mr. Drake, an up-and-coming disc jockey and programmer from south Georgia, revolutionized radio when he and his partner, Lester Eugene Chenault (pronounced Sha-NAULT), decided that radio stations could make a lot more money and reach more listeners if they cut back on D.J. chatter, accelerated the pace of their programs and gave audiences more of what they presumably tuned in to hear: hit songs.

He and Mr. Chenault introduced a formula, eventually sold as a syndicated package with prerecorded music, that would revamp — and homogenize — radio stations across the United States.

Under the slogan “Much More Music,” KHJ in Los Angeles, an early client, began playing 14 records each hour, far more than the competition. Commercials were limited to 13 minutes and 40 seconds each hour, a third less than the competition had. Station-identification jingles (usually performed a cappella by the Johnny Mann Singers) were cut to one and a half seconds. A new breed of disc jockeys, billed as Boss Jocks, were drilled to keep their patter to a minimum, and to standardize it.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Sangean ATS-909X .  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  90 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 1126 UTC »
Ah yes, the nostalgic aroma of tubes. I got a good dose, love it.

(To twist up the quote from Apocalypse Now) "I love the smell of tubes in the morning, it smells like Dx".

K

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 0920 UTC »
Ah yes, the nostalgic aroma of tubes. I got a good dose, love it.

(To twist up the quote from Apocalypse Now) "I love the smell of tubes in the morning, it smells like Dx".

K

Charlie don't DX

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 0100 UTC »
Drake format - haven't heard that term in a while.   

More music...  minimum chit-chat, tight production, timed to a fraction of a second...
all this in an era when the DJ had to cue up the records manually on a turntable

Offline East Troy Don

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 1742 UTC »
And then cross your fingers and try to "Hit the Post..."