We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: US CB to get FM  (Read 3632 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
US CB to get FM
« on: July 23, 2021, 1306 UTC »
Not quite official yet, but it sounds like the FCC is about to grant permission for FM operation on the CB band here: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-374114A1.pdf

Also some changes to GMRS and FRS.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: US CB to get FM
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 0654 UTC »
Well, it's about time! As long as it's NBFM, that should reduce AM overmod, splatter, and RFI. Should have been done years ago. Still, won't be heard as well as SSB, especially on the road, but could be better on the road than present AM, where you can get an earful of +30 lbs of noise levels. Now, will someone capitalize on making FM board kits for all those radios out there presently? Several companies did in the 1980's and 1990's.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 1136 UTC »
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline KandiKlover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 0812 UTC »
Well, it's about time! As long as it's NBFM, that should reduce AM overmod, splatter, and RFI. Should have been done years ago. Still, won't be heard as well as SSB, especially on the road, but could be better on the road than present AM, where you can get an earful of +30 lbs of noise levels. Now, will someone capitalize on making FM board kits for all those radios out there presently? Several companies did in the 1980's and 1990's.

Lol no. Just like the past fee reduction, use of all channels for FRS and 250 mile limit removal for CB this is just more bureaucratic loose ends being tied up so they don't have to waste time listening to complaints they never did anything about anyways. Everyone likes to make drama over this stuff but just like last time nothing will change. Companies like Galaxy/Stryker and various freeband 10m radios are already made and continue to be used by those who know and midlands, cobras by everyone else. Just a simple hardware addition for FM modes on a few of those walmart models that no one will know to use.

Same old noise and useless channels you have to freeband to get away from.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 1524 UTC »
Many 11m "export" radios already support FM. ;) Wonder if there will be a "gentlemen's'" agreement on specific FM frequencies similar to 11m SSB.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: US CB to get FM? It is now.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 1848 UTC »
Apparently, the FCC approved this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XevGDwC0_Z0  So, Cobra asked for this? Others should follow.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Elf36

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 1653 UTC »
When I was about 15, I got my first real 11m rig. It was an HR2510. A guy around my same age, about 6 miles away had an RCI 2950. We would sometimes mess around on FM. Can't say it was great for distance though. I've worked a lot of DX on 10/11 meters several years ago, but only SSB. I do hear stories of FM DX though.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: US CB to get FM? Here a add-on board.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 2037 UTC »
Here's a dude in the UK that's doing add-on FM boards for CB,    https://www.ebay.com/itm/283737307487?&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId  Now, when this will happen domestically is anyone's guess.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: US CB to get FM. Recommended FM use on 27MHz CB?
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 1839 UTC »
Well, with CB now finally allowed for use on USA CB's, question stands, what channels to use FM on? My proposal would be the Gentleman's Agreement, like what was done with SSB, (a.k.a. Channels 36 - 40 for SSB, CH16 on the old 23 channel rigs.). My idea would be to reserve channels 30 - 35 for FM use. Think that it would fly? Of course, this could depend upon local regional options. Case in point, I understand that the Highway Channel in Alaska is CH14, and not CH19, up there. Passing thoughts...

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 0356 UTC »
I do hear stories of FM DX though.

I rarely hear them anymore, but occasionally a good 10m band opening can yield FM repeaters popping up, particularly from New England. It might actually be more prevalent assuming ops actively used 10m repeaters anymore. I suspect the ones still in service can go days or even weeks without use.

Assuming anyone actually bothers with it, at least some of the often horridly-designed 11m amps operating in class C mode should sound better in FM than SSB or overdriven AM.
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: US CB to get FM? President is out with one for the USA market!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 1956 UTC »
Huh... Looks like President is already runnin' with a dual-mode CB, as ripped from this SWL'ing article.      https://swling.com/blog/2021/11/guest-post-peter-discovers-the-first-fm-capable-cb-radio-for-the-us-market/

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 2030 UTC »
Posted there before seeing the thread here. A somewhat long comment about getting an 11m FM handheld to market for the mode to gain traction.

Back to the President radio, the overall design looks like one of the brand's more affordable models, thus probably why it lacks SSB support. Oh well.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: US CB to get FM? And, more...
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 2015 UTC »
https://swling.com/blog/2021/12/guest-post-peters-fm-cb-update/    So far, SWL'ing seems to be the only ones talking about this. Is anyone else?

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 0048 UTC »
Who's on CB anymore?

That said, I don't see how FM would harm the band. It can really chop up an AM or sideband channel, though. Back in 1990 I was talking to some guy locally on the sideband and he said he had FM on his radio, so I asked him to fire it up. I wanted to hear it. On my AM/Sidebander it was horrific sounding hash.

I think 'export' rigs have had FM for years.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).