We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Crossed Parallel Loop Antenna - back to active with a preamp  (Read 1168 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
My crossed parallel loop antenna is once again active, with a preamp. It started out using an LZ1AQ preamp, then went passive when that amp died (due to moisture). Now it is active again, with one of Everett N4CY's version of the LZ1AQ amp, with 2SC5551 transistors.  The preamp is inside of a short piece of 2" PVC pipe, with end caps, and lots of silicone sealant around all the holes for wires  :)

On LW and MW I can get decent nulls with it, sometimes very deep, WHP 580 out of Harrisburg PA can be nulled by over 30 dB.  Not directional on HF, as expected, but it works quite well, signal levels sometimes not much weaker than my full size wire antennas. It also works quite well up on 11 meters.

I can highly recommend both N4CY's preamp as well as the crossed parallel loop overall.

For reference here is my original post about the antenna build: http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=2340
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree