Loggings > TV DX Loggings

I miss analog TV!

(1/7) > >>

Tom S:
Just gotta say I miss analog TV and picking up TV channel 2 on my Icom R75 on 59.750 MHZ a few years back.  Best TV DX I had was hearing a station located in Eastern Virginia.  Funny how the Sporadic-E was that day, I could hear two different stations by switching between a vertical and horizontal antenna, and only one station was audible on either antenna.

Fansome:
I used to live in NW Missouri, and I did a lot of TV DX there. I had a handheld B&W Sony TV with just a whip antenna, but on a good evening I could pick up stations from all over the Midwest, as far away as OK and TX. The nice thing about having a handheld TV was that I could walk all over the house and outside, searching for the best signal, something that's kind of hard to do with a full-sized TV.

I know that there are portable digital TVs now; maybe I'll get one and see what I can manage to DX these days...

quote author=Tom S link=topic=8442.msg23162#msg23162 date=1350076304]
Just gotta say I miss analog TV and picking up TV channel 2 on my Icom R75 on 59.750 MHZ a few years back.  Best TV DX I had was hearing a station located in Eastern Virginia.  Funny how the Sporadic-E was that day, I could hear two different stations by switching between a vertical and horizontal antenna, and only one station was audible on either antenna.
[/quote]

BoomboxDX:
Funny, I was thinking earlier tonight that I've nearly forgotten what analog TV actually looked like when we used to watch it.  I'm already used to the look of over the air digital TV.  All those blurry figures, how did we live through it?

Tom S:
Yeah, and not to mention snow on the screen when the station was weak.

I've never tried digital TV DXing but I'm guessing it will be pretty hard because most digital receivers will blank out when a signal is too weak.  With the old analog signals you could at least see *something* through the snow.

kmorgan:
Last month I was doing a scan and caught KUDF-LP on channel 14, an analog Azteca America out of Tucson AZ, 109 mi from my location in Phoenix. KUDF is analog Maximum ERP: 9.990 kW. I thought I was catching Mexico  :-[ at first. I am using a Clearstream 4 UHF antenna about 30' above ground. The signal was poor at best. Yes, I too miss analog TV a lot! It is (was...) a lot of fun TV dxing. I currently receive some Tucson stations well with my antenna and sometimes catch some 2edge digital stations about 105 miles away. I am in a condo and on 2nd floor and have great envy for my top floor neighbors who must get great reception considering they are about 70 feet above average terrain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version