We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Random Wire or Large Loop and Height?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline ultravista

• View Profile
    • Email
Random Wire or Large Loop and Height?
« on: August 12, 2021, 1441 UTC »
I have the space to run a random wire (+500 foot) and would like advice whether the same length configured as a loop would provide benefits?

Does the same length of wire configured as a loop provide any value vs. running the wire in (semi) straight line?

Also, I can easily add ceramic insulators to my trees at a height of 15-20 feet. Higher than that will be problematic.

Does a height of 15 feet vs. 30 feet provide a perceivable impact?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Random Wire or Large Loop and Height?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 1328 UTC »
You have a few options, depending on your space:

Run the wire in a straight line as long as you can. Terminated, this is the classic Beverage antenna (search on this board for prior posts about this antenna, how to feed and terminate it, etc). It will be directional towards the far, terminated end, opposite the feed point end. Left unterminated, it will be directional in both directions. Beverage antennas are typically run 6 or 8 feet above the ground.

Run in a large loop, this is the classic Sky Loop antenna. Make it as large in perimeter and enclosed area as you can. Also search for posts here about this antenna type. A sky loop antenna's directivity is often unpredictable due to many lobes and peaks, especially as you go higher in frequency. With sufficient hand waving, you can assume it is mostly omni directional with those unpredictable variations.  Height generally helps improve low angle reception, but even 20 ft will "work".

I have both Beverage and Sky Loop antennas here, they both work well, for different applications. Again, some searching here will turn up many prior posts and discussions.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree