We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: Hurricane Coming for New England  (Read 236 times)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Hurricane Coming for New England
« on: August 20, 2021, 1017 UTC »
Hey All.

Interesting storm.

I expect gust 75 here (??).Floods?

Tonight I put together 2000 uH giant cotton basket weave onto the big var caps for LW / VLF storm work.

Also may break out the really big # 28 oat coil as well.

K
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline Ct Yankee

• DXing Phenomena
  • Now boarding with quadraphonic sound to Durham CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hurricane Coming for New England
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 1533 UTC »

We went into Hurricane Watch zone right off the bat this morning.  We are the furthest inland in Connecticut they have issued a watch area, 15 miles off coast.  Forecast had gotten more dire for my qth in ensuing days as storm landfall keeps drifting west. From a predicted path of just east of Cape Cod to landfall on CT/RI border, about 60 miles east of me.  Any closer and we would see both the worst of the rain and wind.  Plus, there is an astronomically usual high tide this weekend in New England.  In addition, it is thought this will be a lingering storm.

This would be the first landfalling hurricane in New England in almost exactly 30 years.  Much shoreline construction has occurred in the past generation.  I can only imagine what it will be like to try to get people off Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, and Nantucket (the latter three only by boat/plane) during a summer weekend.

I can envision major flooding in Cape Cod Bay as counter clockwise winds drive water south into the Bay during an abnormally high tide.  It will fill/overfill the Bay like running water in a bath tub.
Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire. 
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Coming for New England
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 1605 UTC »
Hey Yankee,

Not too bad , thank God.So far just some rains and a bit of wind.

I am going to Island in Buzzard’ s Bay on Sept 1. I think things will be ok.

Currently I am grabbing  occasional lightning strikes in a feeder band around 125 mi to the East.

K

« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 1840 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42