We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: First WEFAX image  (Read 2064 times)

Elf36

First WEFAX image
« on: August 30, 2021, 1813 UTC »
https://imgur.com/a/cBI86yK Still working on using Imgur/Attaching. I downloaded the trial version of the Black Cat Systems WEFAX receiver. I'm still learning for sure, but I've been able to get a lot of images from the Boston station (RX is on 14.748-3 Mhz Not sure if that's the absolute proper frequency, but it's working well for me. I find the BCS software very user-friendly and straightforward. I'm certain there are many others such as FLDIGI and the like, but I can't imagine why I'd want to try anything different. I highly recommend it. I sometimes get bored with radio, and this is just the type of thing to revive my interest. Give it a try. I will post more images as I go along and learn more. Hopefully from even further away.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First WEFAX image
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 2057 UTC »
Congrats.
Here's a link to a PDF - somewhat out dated but still useful:
https://www.weather.gov/media/marine/rfax.pdf

The carrier frequency is always 1.9kHz below the assigned frequency.
And if you mean NMF when you say "boston station", I think you were tuned to 12748kHz (not 14748) - see page 34 on the linked PDF.
Have fun,
FPE
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 2059 UTC by fpeconsultant »
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline ION Radio

• LLFR!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 2153 UTC »
Nice decodes, these are addictive BTW. Very interesting during Hurricanes.
QTH- East of everywhere.
ICOM and 40m Dipole
ionradioshortwave@gmail.com

Elf36

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 0034 UTC »
Thanks for the info. It has been a lot of fun so far. I want to learn more about what the images represent in regards to winds, currents, temp, also.
I'll let you know how it's going for me over the next few weeks.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 1215 UTC »
Not sure of your location but I'm near Chicago and easily copy New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Kodiak, Boston, CA, LA, Chile, and in the winter months the Canadian far north TXs come in well.
Have fun.
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Elf36

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 1737 UTC »
I'm in Florida. I will start looking for stations in more distant places as I go along.

Elf36

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 2047 UTC »
I have had no time to decode WEFAX lately. Hopefully, over the weekend I can. Hope others have been doing well with it since my original post.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 0012 UTC »
 ::)
I have had no time to decode WEFAX lately. Hopefully, over the weekend I can. Hope others have been doing well with it since my original post.

I will get back at it around late October - conditions improve & Australia & New Zealand become easy catches here local mornings and the northernmost Canadians are decent late afternoons.
Have fun

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns