We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Yeah, 9/11, but remember the night of 9/10/2001 in radio, that then wasn't?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Oh yeah... I certainly remember the morning of 9/11/2001, since I was on the road to my Grandpa's funeral in Buffalo, NY. Needless to say, 930WBEN was exciting to listen too right then, as my family and I did. However, I was sleep deprived from staying up all night, 9/10/2001, for big night on the then Art Bell's Coast To Coast AM, when his guest was Andrew Yoder, on the subject of Pirate Radio, mainly the shortwave scene. I stayed up to record off-air the whole thing off of WHTK 1280AM. (I did the same with the Pat Murphy interview as well.) I thought that it all went well, Art got to tune-in to what may have been his 1st pirate station on shortwave, He Man Radio doing the broadcast for the occasion. Art actually aired several pirate ID's and actually aired a full skit from The Voice Of Laryngitis, as well as promote Hobby Broadcasting Zine. Also, a mention of Number Stations that Art has tuned-in to before. I was actually happy with the whole show, then the events of what happened a few hours later totally erased everything. Andrew's thunder was really sniff-out, for sure. Certainly glad that I did the off-air records, and they were on-line on a couple of sites. Are they still? So, even though the terrible events to the twin towers changed everything in America, and even the World, the night before, 9/10/2001, turned out to be the radio event that was, then all of a sudden, wasn't.   
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 0615 UTC by ThaDood »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Want to download that interview for yourself? Looks like the upload to Archive.org worked. Goto    https://archive.org/details/andrew-yoder-on-art-bell-c-2-c-am-mon-9-10-2001-edited    Scroll down to VBR MP3, then Right-Click for option to download. Enjoy!!!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
Re: Yeah, 9/11, but remember the night of 9/10/2001 in radio?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 1906 UTC »
someone aired that on 6955u about 07:00 utc with some talk of aliens etc before Andy came on .

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Awh yeah??? Well, if y'all liked that, then here are these:

https://archive.org/details/pat-murphy-roger-skinner-interview-on-art-bell-3-1998-edited

https://archive.org/details/art-bell-midnight-in-the-desert-rec-test-boadcast-via-wbcq-7490k-hz-off-air-7-19-2015-edited

And, if any station wants to air the following, please do:     https://archive.org/details/the-underground-jam-slate-no-tuj-09122021-review-of-master-master-of-time

And, while we're at it, here the expanding Archive.org page:   https://archive.org/details/@thadood

What else to put up there? How about several 1990's pirate ops' interviews? Thank you, and ENJOY!!!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 0625 UTC by ThaDood »

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Yeah, 9/11, but remember the night of 9/10/2001 in radio?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 2034 UTC »
Very nice.  Thanks for the links - ah the memories.
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns