We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: can you help me identify these sounds  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Northwest Radio

• Barefoot on a wire!
    • View Profile
Re: can you help me identify these sounds
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 0638 UTC »
I may be incorrect, but I believe those are paging related.
Seattle Washington running Flex-1500 SDR, Yaesu FT-897, Yaesu FRG-100, Kenwood TS-440S, Realistic DX-394/DX-160/Pro-2051/Pro-2052
OCF Windom/Dipole 173' Length @ 49' AGL, 14mhz Delta Loop, 41' Vertical, Gutters, Kites, and Fence wires

Offline KRoc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 1239 UTC »
I think the first one might be, but I'm not sure about the last two. But paging? Seriously? Who pages these days? I suspect something sinister.

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 1819 UTC »
It might be helpful to note the frequency and mode where you found these. The first one definitely sounds like a paging system.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 1855 UTC »
#1 definitely sounds like a pager. It will sound better if you listen in FM. If you have another receiver, hunt around 150.8 - 162 MHz and see if you can find one that's the same. Hopefully this (and #2) are just images in your receiver. If not, the FAA will be upset.

I've heard #2 millions of times before. Don't know what it is, but we've got this thing around here. Listening to it right now on 452.29375 MHz.  It ID'd (every 15 mins) and its callsign is KNHV797, which is Suburban Taxi here in Minneapolis/Bloomington, MN. The FCC lists them at 452.3000 MHz, so perhaps the FCC isn't up to date (e.g. recent upgrade) or the RTL-SDR is off frequency.

Was #3 on 205 kHz? If so, might be some PLC or other data monitoring system.

And paging is still in use. Saw someone carrying a Motorola pager just a couple of months ago, of the same type I used to carry 10+ years ago. Could feel my blood pressure rise just looking at it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 2010 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 1321 UTC »
#1 is definitely pager signals.  If you're hearing them on 124.350, then you either have a nearby paging transmitter that is bleeding over onto the air band or a receiver which is being overloaded by that same nearby transmitter.

#2 not sure about, but could be just about any electronic device sending out unwanted signals.  I have heard something similar before which I later identified as a signal sent out over the cable TV cables so they could identify leaks by DF'ing it.  However, I believe that I always heard it somewhere on 108 MHZ.  If you drive around your neighborhood and keep hearing it everywhere you go, chances are good that's what it is.  If you hear it very strongly on an FM receiver while holding it next to cable TV cable, then that's definitely what it is.

#3 I have no idea.

Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 1442 UTC »
To this day doctors still use pagers because they are much more reliable than cellphones in emergencies.
I'm not saying aliens are in the radio, but aliens definitely are in the radio.
The Free Radio Forum

cmradio

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 2137 UTC »
#3 is a carrier current signal.

As a LW listener, I heard that frequently in the 80's when the "plug in and control" fad was all the rage >_<

#1 - I'll add my vote for pager.

#2 sounds like my computer through a scanner.... but you said it ID'd itself, so can't be CPU clock rubbish ???

Peace!

Offline KRoc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 2200 UTC »
That was my first time evar posting on this forum. I am so intensley happy that I finally have people I can ask questions to! I'm such an amateur though, that even half the stuff you guys posted is a total mystery to me but I look forward to learning more.

This is probably a dumb question, but how and where did you guys learn all this stuff? What's a good resource for newbies who aren't very smart but are completely fascinated by radio?

I'm just using a Grundig G3 world traveller so obviously my range and capabilities are going to be limited.

Fansome

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 2317 UTC »
For basic radio theory, buy a copy of the ARRL Handbook. It doesn't have to be new; a five year-old copy would do just fine. The ARRL has lots of other books available on many other radio topics. www.arrl.org

For a lot of info on pirate radio and other shortwave topics, there is a Wiki at www.hfunderground.com.

There are a number of radio-related channels on the IRC network starchat.net, where many of the people who contribute to this board hang out. You can ask questions in real-time there. Try out #pirateradio, #swl, #wunclub, #mwdx, among others.

Of course, there are many other resources on the net, and there are also many clubs available. For instance, NASWA comes to mind at www.naswa.net, the North American Shortwave Association.

Good luck!

That was my first time evar posting on this forum. I am so intensley happy that I finally have people I can ask questions to! I'm such an amateur though, that even half the stuff you guys posted is a total mystery to me but I look forward to learning more.

This is probably a dumb question, but how and where did you guys learn all this stuff? What's a good resource for newbies who aren't very smart but are completely fascinated by radio?

I'm just using a Grundig G3 world traveller so obviously my range and capabilities are going to be limited.

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: Re: can you help me identify these sounds
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 1723 UTC »
Definitely join us in the #pirateradio chatroom; just click the big link you see at the top of the forums here (you have to be logged in to see the link).

I would also recommend subscribing to Monitoring Times or checking out any of the myriad of related yahoogroups.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 0249 UTC »

I third what Fansome & Beerus said.

The big thing is to listen & research.

Also check out RadioReference.com
Minneapolis, MN