We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FSL Antennas/Ultralights/Alaska In Spectrum Monitor  (Read 921 times)

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
FSL Antennas/Ultralights/Alaska In Spectrum Monitor
« on: October 01, 2021, 1731 UTC »

If you subscribe to Spectrum Monitor magazine online, Gary Debock, the FSL's, ultralights and I are featured in this months edition.

Paul Walker
Just east of the ass end of gods creation nowhere aka McGrath Alaska
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Re: FSL Antennas/Ultralights/Alaska In Spectrum Monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 1321 UTC »
Hey Paul,

Unfortunately, I do not subscribe to "Spectrum Monitor".

But I have gone  with the Ultra light "spirit" at times  by using pocket MW radios ( maybe "approved" types, maybe not) and something small , like a Select -A Tenna (or other air  coil) or an outboard   big single bar ferrite  antenna, etc .

I had read some years ago about FSL antennas. Some folks absolutely swear by them , others feel the cost / hassle ( even if they DO work well ) isn't worth it and that other approaches are "better".

I have never built one ,so I can't comment one way or another.

The closest thing I  built  was a small sized "novelty" crystal radio  constructed on  a mouse  trap. #20 cotton was wound over the trap, but it just couldn't QUITE make the inductance needed.So a single ferrite rod was slipped in to make up the difference. Coil ended up sort of like a right triangle.

BUT- the all  mouse trap windings only encounter  the rod for maybe 1/4  turn or less.The FSL is similar because  each winding lays  "on" the rod for just a bit  ( nothing is wound  AROUND a rod).

The  RF / EM physics of a 360 degree  wound rod vs one that is just laid on a bit would be fascinating to hear about.

Alaska must be an awesome place to Dx when polar  conditions allow.

K
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42