We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Things Picking Up a Bit ?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Things Picking Up a Bit ?
« on: October 06, 2021, 1337 UTC »
Hey All,

Not so much specific loggings, but a general comment  I have had some People's Rep of China  regionals  on  morning Gray line the last few days , especially in 31 M. One or two actually fair or better.

Supposedly gray line isn't cycle related , but it's SOMETHING  in what used to be  pretty quiet band. Other "non gray"  bits  and pieces rolling in as well. Things SEEM to be picking up , at least a BIT. Things were flat, dead buried here until  very recently.

Right now, I am just running a Trans Oceanic on the built in telescopic antenna  in a noisy apt.

So if I (!) am starting to copy stuff, I imagine those who actually have REAL antennas may also being hearing that much more now  (I would think).

How is everyone else doing on HF ?

de K
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Elf36

Re: Things Picking Up a Bit ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 1159 UTC »
I think so. With 10/11 meters being open into Europe and the UK the other day. Can't remember the last time that happened. Not to say it's going to become the norm, but it does give some hope. I've also worked a few stations on 12M up to 3800 miles away running 100 watts into a dipole at 27'.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 1627 UTC »
Hey '36,

I used to run a lot of 10/12 M . Nice to hear those bands were open !

de N1NQC
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

PXR-5

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 2020 UTC »
It does seem to be slowly picking up! :)

I have a hydrogen alpha solar scope and the sun is showing some activity also.

Elf36

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 1220 UTC »
We'll just have to cross our fingers and see. If things keep going in the same direction, I will put a 10M rig back in my truck. A lot of people have been complaining about a lack of DX on the bands for years, but most days 20M is open to Europe and down to SA. There's DX, it's just that you rarely hear anything exotic. I imagine Covid has put a stop to most planned DXexpedition's as well.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 1429 UTC »
Hey All,

Thanks  for the replies. 

I am keeping my ears  open.

K

Elf36

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 1742 UTC »
Chris just confirmed that 11 is currently open to the UK on the 10/11 meter forum. Good luck guys!