We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Your favorite shortwave broadcasts  (Read 1049 times)

Elf36

Your favorite shortwave broadcasts
« on: September 21, 2021, 1247 UTC »
I posted this here instead of general because I thought it was a better fit here. Please move if need be.

What are your favorite shows or segments on shortwave broadcasts? Not just stuff you listen to for a catch, but programs you really enjoy for the sake of the content. Thanks!

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Your favorite shortwave broadcasts
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 1855 UTC »
Mostly I listen for music:

1. Encore Classical Music carried by WRMI
 2. Voice of the Report of the Week (VORW) carried by WRMI
 3. Radio New Zealand's Saturday Night Music Request Show airs Saturday mornings on East Coast
 4. Voice of Greece music programs
 5. NHK World's Music programs relayed from France weekdays 1700-1900 utc
 6. BBC's Sportsworld carried weekends roughly 1600 utc, especially live Premier League Football
 7. Pop Shop Radio and All Tribes Radio carried by WRMI
 8. REE English service at 2200 M-W-F  Information and Music, Justin Coe is outstanding
 9. Le Show and Timtron WBCQ
10. Radio Waves International on Channel 292 (9670 am weekends to North America - not an easy catch)
11. Cuban music on Radio Havana

Here's a listing of music programs on shortwave, you may only be able to receive a fraction of them but most are very good:
https://swling.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Music-on-Shortwave-A-21-v4.pdf
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 1920 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

UncleJohn

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 0026 UTC »
Thanks CT Yankee for the Music Programms- I just downloaded all 28 pages (14 printed on both sides) @ the libary..lookin' fwd to some dx'ing possibilities.
Not "Bored Now"...@ least for the moment... ::)

Elf36

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 0140 UTC »
Thank you CT Yankee. I'm about to lay down for the evening, but I will print this first thing in the morning. - To others please reply. Whatever you like is what you like and others will likely enjoy as well. I'm not looking for perfect answers. Just feedback.
Good evening/morning Uncle John!

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 0933 UTC »

Glad you both enjoyed the music listings.  Mr. Roe puts out a new master listing at the beginning of each listening season (with updates during the season), the B21 listing will probably be available in November and the A22 next April.  As previously noted, you will only catch a small portion of those listed programs.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 1103 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 1004 UTC »
Radio Rebelde, XEPPM-OC, WTWW, and Voice of Greece are my usuals for background music. Listening to music on XEPPM-OC on 6185 right now.

I have slacked off on Radio Havana in recent years, but I occasionally still enjoy some of the cultural and music programming. Pretty much the same with CRI, NHK, Radio Romania, etc.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 1228 UTC »
Yeah I got a bit burned out on Radio Havana also. Sometimes I'll catch the HM01 station if I happen to be near my radio around 5 pm. Looking forward to checking out all these programs. I would have to say my favorite currently is still Radio Romania. CRI has some good stuff too if you enjoy hearing about the culture and history of the country.

Offline iw2nzr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 0632 UTC »
Every morning, in my car, with my Sokol 308 russian receiver, using the internal ferrite antenna, I love to listen a music program (classic music) from Radio Austria International on 6155kHz in German language (approx 0530-0600UTC). Nice music!