We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SDRplay RSP2 software (Non SDRuno)  (Read 3167 times)

Elf36

SDRplay RSP2 software (Non SDRuno)
« on: October 20, 2021, 1704 UTC »
What are some other software options for RSP2 other than SDRuno? It's not that I think SDRuno is bad or anything, just wondering if any one uses other software and if so, why? Thanks

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: SDRplay RSP2 software (Non SDRuno)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 0420 UTC »
SDR Console to offload FFT processing to a compatible GPU via Cuda or OpenCL. Lots of features. Great performance with relatively modern hardware.

Much of my SDR usage is via SDRSharp if using a Windows system. I am simply used to the interface, and most options can be hid away if not continuously needed. AFAIK, it should support the RSP2 by copying the proper SDRPlay extio to its directory.

I often use SDRangel if using a Linux system. It might not have some advanced features, but it is plenty capable for skimming the bands. It is also supports OpenGL hardware acceleration that benefits my old Linux notebook with an AMD Jaguar proc.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 1649 UTC »
I think I may have seen a screen shot the other day, that's typically used for Airspy and it seemed a bit simpler than SDRuno. I just printed out an SDRuno how to guide. Guess I need to do more reading and watch more videos. There are probably some features that would be very handy if I took the time to learn.

Offline liduck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 0930 UTC »
HDSDR also, just make sure the extio is current.  Sometimes I have to cycle through the antenna inputs to make sure it's set properly.  Also use SDRConsole.

Elf36

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 1107 UTC »
Ok thanks for the info. I did take some time to read some of the SDRuno how to stuff. The frequency input was one of the issues I was trying to figure out. I think I got that worked out. I'm currently not getting any sound when the receiver is on. I'm thinking it's likely a PC issue I'll have to work through.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 1548 UTC »
Yeah, SDRSharp is developed by Airspy. It works quite nicely with various SDRs, including inexpensive RTL-SDR dongles. It has more features than at first glance, as many are in selectable and tabbed menus, plus there are several community plugins available.

I will toss another upvote for HDSDR, especially if wanting to get right into receiving without a bunch of clutter and rarely used features in the way. It was my go to SDR software back in the day for my now comparatively ancient Soft66LC4 and later RTL-SDRs.

I have to yet to use it, but I know SDR++ has been making recent rounds at SDR news and info sites.

SDR++ is a cross-platform and open source SDR software with the aim of being bloat free and simple to use.

Source: https://github.com/AlexandreRouma/SDRPlusPlus
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 1645 UTC »
SDR Sharp isn't compatible with any SDRplay RSP unless you have an old version of it (sorry, I couldn't tell you which version that would be). I think there's info on forums and possibly downloads available there, but not directly from Airspy. They had a snit and decided not to allow compatibility. But if using Windows, HDSDR and SDR Console are two of the best options. SDRuno is improving and will be made available on macOS and Linux when they get around to version 2.0 (no timetable for that, my guess is at least a year away and probably closer to two).
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 0030 UTC »
My gotos for rsp are hdsdr and console, with console winning due to stability and vrx.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.