We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 162 Mhz NWR distance  (Read 1313 times)

Elf36

162 Mhz NWR distance
« on: October 31, 2021, 1134 UTC »
I haven't got an antenna set-up yet for VHF/UHF, but I was messing around listening to weather stations near me using an HF antenna. I was wondering how far out you have heard these WX stations around 162 Mhz?

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: 162 Mhz NWR distance?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 1849 UTC »
Well, they are great VHF High Band Propagational 24/7 Beacons, fo' sure. I've heard them +200 miles when tropo enhancement happens. Hey... Our taxes pay for these, so might as well use them.   https://www.weather.gov/nwr/ 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Elf36

Re: 162 Mhz NWR distance
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 2000 UTC »
Good deal. Always looking for new things to check out. Been doing some local aircraft listening also. I tuned into 123.450 Mhz a bit, but didn't hear anything. I'll have to try it earlier in the morning or late at night. If I'm not mistaken I learned about the 123.450 from a post you made a while back. Take care.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: 162 Mhz NWR distance
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 1408 UTC »
If NOAA/NWS transmissions are circularly polarized, your might actually fair okay if a station is within one of the many lobes your OCFD presents at VHF.

In the meantime, you might consider a basic coaxial vertical dipole. It is lightweight enough to hang on even a rather small branch of a tree. Receive bandwidth should be rather wide at VHF, too, so one cut for VHF air should suffice for the weather band as well. Example here:

https://vk1nam.wordpress.com/2018/02/10/portable-2m-144-mhz-coaxial-dipole-antenna/

I would make some improvements like using a lower sleeve instead of the coax shield if transmitting, but otherwise building it as described with even cheap RG-6 would be okay for receiving, and you even could replace the turned choke with just 2-3 snap-on chokes for simplicity's sake if desired.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip