We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Klingenfuss frequencies  (Read 1170 times)

Elf36

Klingenfuss frequencies
« on: October 29, 2021, 1927 UTC »
I was wondering if anyone still gets the Klingenfuss books or CD's and if they think its worth it? Yes I know the internet is full of resources, but I sometimes miss looking up frequencies and browsing stuff like that. I guess another factor would be buying one every year to adjust for changes. I'm sure lots of things stay the same though.

I was looking through some books the other day and found a couple of old Passport to world band radio books. I use to love getting those. They were beautiful books and I loved reading all the radio reviews and info about stations around the world. The internet is amazing, but it never gives me the same joy that those types of things did.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Re: Klingenfuss frequencies
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 2112 UTC »
Hey Elf,

I bought one or two Klingefuss frequency list books WAY (WAY !) back in the day. What a GREAT resource - at that  time.

IMHO, things on shortwave have changed radically. There seems to be FAR less "utility" type stations ( maritime ARQ, RTTY , military voice, etc, etc .) on air now.

Frequency lists  (in print or online) are a big asset -IF- they are derived  actual  on air monitoring and are up to date.

Even "WAY back when" , such lists were maybe 70% +   of dead frequencies, that for whatever reason, you heard nothing . Ever. But what you DID hear was so cool that these  occasional  "nuggets" made the cost worthwhile. When I was at CSS/NSA  Germany ( and at other locations I worked at ) , I actually found some of my installations active frequencies on such lists .That was a REAL hoot !

IF a  RECENT copy of  Klingesfuss is available for "medium " money then "maybe". He  did a LOT of work to compile it and therefore, as I recall it , his book was not inexpensive, even back 30 or more years when I bought mine.

I USED to keep his books ,also  Passport books  and the lists from "murky" sources in Pop Comm ads ( etc)  well beyond when I bought them, really just recall   fond memories of things  I USED to hear (tropical broadcast stations  and  long gone utilities, etc).

After 10 or 15 years of keeping them , I finally  "let them go".

I still keep  a few "short"   handwritten  frequency lists and info for stations (lifted from the WWW) that have been off air  for up to 100 years , purely as a "historical  archive "  of what was one out there.

Again , I had a huge admiration for all of his hard work and certainly do not want to do anything to keep him from getting a sale.

I do not have any big outdoor antennas anymore . But if I did  and I  was hunting for such activity , I'd try and get a general idea of where any remaining stations  might "hang out" and also  take the time of day and  state of current propagation into mind. Then I would just look on an SDR.

A while back  I found a few  "Buzz Saw" bursts    (presumed US  military - Any one know for sure  ?)  -  at upper HF  on this site's SDR. Not sure how much you'd find or how long it would take , but  that's the way I would  (me) roll now .The military UHF aero band would be my area of choice to look now . I think there "could" be more  activity  there  now (in OPEN MODE !) than on HF ( maybe ).

A  zillion years  ago the best  thing I ever got was  a  voice operated tape recordings  from my scanner ( a really "primitive" attempt ). I'd leave up for days and then play  it back. Of course  there was no date/time stamp  and I didn't even know which frequencies were  actually  recorded , but still kind of cool  and better than nothing.

I also did  a bit of  UHF mil sat listening , got some stuff , but not a serious or long term effort on my part.

Again , just my two cents , but your call.

K
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 2115 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Elf36

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 2125 UTC »
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, you are spot on about Utility stuff for sure. Rarely any voice stuff at all. It's all decoding various nonvoice stuff. Some guys are still into that, which is great. I may even get into it one day, although I don't have much interest at the moment. I think I will stick with internet resources. Great memories of the print though!

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 2125 UTC »
I love the Klingenfuss resources. I have a few of them, including the electronic version of the 2013 Super Frequency List. Not something you want to purchase every year but I am most likely due at some point in the future to purchase an updated "package". I still use them along with my various Monitoring Times publications. Klingenfuss is an authoritative reference source. No second guessing what you find on the Internet.

Offline jta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 1110 UTC »
It's my understanding that he ceased publication a few years ago, so you probably won't be purchasing another package from him.  :(

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 1352 UTC »
You can buy 2021 editions here:

https://www.klingenfuss.org/homepage.htm

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 2134 UTC »
These guys are known to log a few pertinent freqs;
http://www.udxf.nl/ute-info.html
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Elf36

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 2218 UTC »
Thanks, Josh, I'm in the middle of cooking dinner, but that looks like a great resource from my quick look.