We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Xiegu G90  (Read 6853 times)

Elf36

Xiegu G90
« on: November 04, 2021, 2248 UTC »
I'm getting a bit tempted to buy a Xiegu G90. I really like the look and features of it. However, I would have to sell my Yaesu HF rig. I've always told my wife, If I buy something new, I will finance it without spending more money. I was a QRP guy for many years and I sometimes miss it. I love the waterfall display and portability. The weather is getting nice and it would be great to have a smaller rig to take camping. With the money, I could also purchase an antenna analyzer and a kit radio to build. I feel like the radio has been around long enough to have solid reviews and I know a couple of people that own them. I just worked a guy the other day on 10M on Curacao Island operating one and it sounded great. I'm torn though. I love the FT-950 and enjoy being able to change my CW speed with a quick turn of a knob to accommodate for slower stations or speed it up for DX op's without going through a menu. I've owned a lot of radios over the years and always say if I don't like the rig, I'll sell it and go back. I owned 2 FT-817's and an FT-818 among many others, usually switching it up every couple of years. It would also free up some space on my desk. I am worried about buyer's remorse though. With the bands not being great again, I worry I'll miss having 100 watts and even though 6M has been crap for quite some time, once I don't have it I'll wonder what's going on there?

Elf36

Re: Xiegu G90
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 2332 UTC »
Just went to 7.060 (QRP land) and heard a station in VA calling CQ with a good signal. I turned the rig down to 5 watts and sent my call a few times.... nothing. Turned it back up to 100 watts and got a quick reply. Maybe it's not a good time to go back to QRP. I do suspect that he wasn't running 5 watts either though, even though calling on a .060 frequency? Maybe I'll just slowly save up for the G90 or build a cheaper kit and keep what I got. I can't complain. It's great for SWL also. I use it more than my PC SDR rig.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 0002 UTC »
Personal opinion.... I would be hard pressed to sell a Yaesu whatever to get a Xiegu G90 in return for a primary QTH transceiver. Features aside, there are build quality and serviceability aspects to consider IMO.

If thinking about mobile and/or portable ops, Xiegu does offer another potentially interesting model for around $250 or sometimes even less. The Xiegu G1M is a quad-band 5w transceiver for 80, 40, 20, and 15. Also does general receive. AFAIK, the biggest problem with it is a delicate microphone jack, though someone might have a fix for it by now.

If you are brave person, there is the "uSDR uSDX" variants that can be found for $130 or less via eBay and similar. A few watts and 8 bands from 80m to 10m. There is also a newer "uSDR uSDX+" (or plus, v2, etc.) model with an integrated li-ion battery and other changes for around $160 to $175. The newer model even claims PC connectivity for various digital modes. YMMV. I have seen reviews for these radios range from decent to horrid; seemingly based largely upon the radio actually working properly.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 0052 UTC »
Yeah. I think you're right. I have seen that uSDR rig on some websites and Youtube videos. Pretty interesting for sure. I don't think it's gonna be the next big thing, but quite interesting for sure. I watched a video the other day of a guy in Europe working another EU station on SSB with that rig. Thanks for your feedback Rob. you've straightened me out. I really think what I'll do now is focus on saving a bit for a decent antenna analyzer and focus my attention on playing with antennas more, whether it be for ham radio or SWl stuff.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 1125 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 0910 UTC »

Some interesting notes on XIEGU G90 Transceiver

https://radio.thulesius.se/sdr/xiegu-g90-transceiver/

//QRP

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Xiegu G90? Very, very tempting rig.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 1854 UTC »
I'd seen that link before as well. The power connectors and cables is an idea that helped-out rigs like the 10M, RCI-2950, since it came with a chincy small-gauged power cable. That did indeed bring that rig to full RF OUT potential on both SSB and AM modes. Still, this Xiegu G90 fills the desire that I have, a stand-along SDR rig and not type up yet another computer for radio crap. I have more than enough of that. So, I'm looking to get one myself, since I can't justify diving $$$$$-wise for an IC-7300, or the new IC-705. The rig that I really want is that new TS-890S. That's not happening too soon with me.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Elf36

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 1920 UTC »
Yeah. It's a cool piece of gear and many have been sold. I saw 3/4 the other day on QTH Classifieds, one was priced at $330.00
I remember the HR-2510 had the similar flimsy connector in the back.

Offline secretlab

• Northern Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 2256 UTC »
I just bought a X6100 on pre-order. For a couple hundred more than the G90, it promises to be more like an ICOM IC-705 in operation. The caveat is: Xiegu's known for releasing buggy firmware in their new radios. While the G90 has this nicely sorted, the X6100 is an unknown. I'll keep you posted.
ICOM IC-7300, Chameleon EMCOMMII 60' inverted L, HF+ Discovery, MFJ-1886 rotatable RX loop. Portable: Xiegu X6100, mcHF, Chameleon CHA-TDL delta loop, wires.

Elf36

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 2336 UTC »
I was unaware of this model. Looks like their version of the Icom-705. Although they did already put out the Xiegu 5105, which is similar also and covers 6M. I'll have to do some more research. Best of luck with it. There have been many Xiegu firmware changes, but that can be fixed as each change comes out. I was very sceptical of Chinese rigs when the big Baofeng craze started, but I feel their (Xiegu) reputation is pretty legit so far. BTW- I am a solid believer that the Baofeng VHF/UHF HT's were a good thing for Ham radio. It offers people an option to get into the hobby for a small investment. If it's not for you, then you're not out a lot of money. If you do decide you like it, you will likely move on to the big 3 brands at some point. As well as repeater operation, you can also work satellites on a budget.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 0018 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline secretlab

• Northern Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 0429 UTC »
Indeed, my first rig was Baofeng, and I've continued to have an interest in China made equipment as a way to make a limited budget stretch farther. In general, the design, engineering and build quality of the Xiegu rigs seem fine, and I have high hopes for their X6100. Right size, right price, and feature packed. Their ATUs in particular are liked by many users, and of course Icom skipped the ATU entirely in the IC-705!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 0440 UTC by secretlab »
ICOM IC-7300, Chameleon EMCOMMII 60' inverted L, HF+ Discovery, MFJ-1886 rotatable RX loop. Portable: Xiegu X6100, mcHF, Chameleon CHA-TDL delta loop, wires.

Elf36

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 1334 UTC »
Yeah. I was surprised they didn't include an ATU on the 705. That would add a lot more appeal..... Although they do offer the Icom AH-705 Autotuner to pair with it, for the low cost of $349.95. I think I'd just buy an LDG or Elecraft tuner. I'm gonna build another PFR-3 transceiver when they come back in stock. I've built 2/3 of them. Great rig if you're a CW Op. They cover 20/30/40 meters and also have a built-in BLT tuner.  https://www.qrpkits.com/pfr3.html

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Xiegu G90? The LDG Tuner would work.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 1954 UTC »
I have the old LDG 100Pro, and that tunes with 4W CB's to 40M dipoles nicely, so it would certainly rock with the 5W carrier from the Xiegu G90, if ya went that way. Just FYI...
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 2216 UTC »
One positive of the G90 is supposed to be a decent integrated autotuner.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 2220 UTC »
Yeah. Can't go wrong with an LDG. I learned to tune on Dentron/MFJ tuners years ago, and it's good to know, but it's nice to just hit that button!.... Although my internal FT-950 tuner tunes most bands lower. That green light just means 1.5
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 2314 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 2254 UTC »
If it makes you feel better, Outhouse Radio runs his G90 for hours on end on the pirate bands.

There is also a nice holder / cooling fan bracket available for the radio.
https://dxcanada.ca/xiegu-g90-h1-holder-cooling-fan-bracket-for-xiegu-g90-hf/