We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Xiegu G90  (Read 6863 times)

Elf36

Re: Xiegu G90
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 2319 UTC »
When I was doing my G90 research I found the same item for around $67.00 here and there. I did read that the rig gets a bit warm. I wonder how hot it would do get on SSTV/PSK31 at 20 watts. When I run my Yaesu rig, I always back down the power to 50 watts or so. I think 20 watts would be enough power for those modes, but I'd imagine the G90 would get a bit warm at full power if people notice the heat for CW/SSB operation.

I will definitely buy one at some point.... I hope. They make a mobile mount also. Would be great to run mobile 10/11 with a 10/11M amp and a trimmed 102'' whip .You could probably even go a bit lower in frequency with that same style amp. I wouldn't go too far though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 2335 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 0019 UTC »
Some notes on my experience with the 90;

Put ferrites on everything, mic, any cable that goes into the rig, and put some on the coax. The power cable is very prone to picking up rf so ferrite it and some twist the wires to reduce rfi further.

Powering the rig on with certain input cables connected such as the cat control port can cause firmware corruption.

Some find simply swapping ends of the mic cable reduces or eliminates intermittent opens at the mic cable connector in the rig, also some have replaced the mic cable with a cat cable.

Careful selection of firmware and adjustment of controls can make for a very reliable and effective rig.

I find a noise blanker setting of 5 and a width of 10 reduces most random hf pops and crashes without impacting dynamic range much if at all. Unlike stated at this review you can adjust the nb and it is effective;
https://radio.thulesius.se/sdr/xiegu-g90-transceiver/

Shutting off the display by quick press of the power switch reduces the ma used a bit and saves the display backlight, mine's set to a very low backlight setting and find it perfectly usable even in brightly lit indoors.

Join the xiegu g90 groups,io for a lot of info and files;
https://xiegug90.groups.io/g/main

When I was first looking for something portable with low current draw, excellent rx performance, and sdr capabilities along with effective tx power, a mini Icom Pro3 is what I imagined. Well that was a tough order till the 90 came along, and as luck would have it, sherweng rates it above the Pro3;
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

A linear 10a psu is perfect for the 90, ample current and no rfi as in the case of a switcher psu.

I found a deal at qth for a complete kit, g90, fan/mount, and the hockey puck interface for less than a new one and it was all only a few months old.
https://swap.qth.com/

We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Xiegu G90? Just bought one, and tried it Sunday 28th. AM performance?
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 2056 UTC »
I guess I'll find out next week. I'd just bought a used one. I like the idea of all-in-one package and not have a computer tied to yet another appliance. So, has anyone tried this rig on AM TX to see how it sounds?
UPDATE 11/29/2021: The rig from MTC, (Main Trading Co.,),   https://www.mtcradio.com/  for $369.00, free shipping, came Saturday. So, got 1/2 of Sunday to try it out. Date code is Jan. 2021, so a pretty recent 2nd-hand rig. Gotta' say, for that 'lil 1.8" DIA OLED screen, it's very sharp and concise. Even did a Toronto, ON P.O.T.A. Station on 1st try. Nice, to have eyes as well as ears. I've yet to try an AM QSO on this rig, but certainly plan too and see what opinions that I get. So far, only complaints are that the COMP is all, or nothing, so you have to 'Ride-The-Gain' on the mic. CW decoder is iffy, at best, but I'm still trying the learn the rig's 'Sweet-spot' there. And,  when to goto programmed Memory Channels, you can't tune off from them, like you can with many other rigs, which is my preference of band and mode switching. Still, these are not deal-breakers by any means. And consider this, how much would you pay for a separate antenna analyzer? It has one built-in! . My MFJ-259C was like $250.00, and my original MFJ-269 PRO was like $500.00 in 2005. So, nice!!!! QRP'ers will like this rig going down to 1W. The no EXT Speaker Jack??? I plan to make one. Looks doable. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 1849 UTC by ThaDood »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 0041 UTC »
On cw decode I find 300hz filter and set to 20wpm and it takes right off on a decent sig, does pretty well for a dsp decoder. Also for some reason decoder dislikes changing the cw sidetone from 800, I like 600 but decode was greatly hindered at that freq, wonder if the cw decoder doesn't track offset changes?

A few things would really be nice to have;
 one is decimation levels - this will increase dynamic range at the expense of displayed spectrum and 48khz on such a tinys creen is nuts

another is if they made a user sdk for the firmware where one could roll their own gui, psk and fsk modes built in, etc etc

Offline ErnieTech

• View Profile
    • ErnieTech's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 0256 UTC »
I have a G90 and have been producing Youtube videos at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsbBSwXJzVtkX6ovo-QZATA on getting the most out of it.

It is a very decent radio especially for the price. But there are the obvious drawbacks of the tiny screen, a somewhat un-intuitive user interface and only 20 watts (which for digital and CW is just fine).

But it is quite capable and well worth the price. Could it be your only radio? Sure, but the 'smallness' factor can get a bit tedious. It is not my only radio, but I use it quite a bit, especially on 10 meters and for digital modes.
Is ErnieTech just another vanity account? You decide. Ernie loves oddball tech even more than his laser pointer. He digs his little pink nose into just about everything.

Visit me on Discord: https://discord.gg/T4Df88w8St
Visit me on Mastodon: https://mastodon.sdf.org/@ernietech
Visit me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsbBSwXJzVtkX6ovo-QZATA

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 1845 UTC »
Xiegu has been working on the new product, the 6100 think it's called, so have put g90 fw updates on hold.

The latest fw have addressed many of the most glaring issues, with dsp rigs that can have their fw updated this can be never ending and not in a bad way. I'd really like to see Xiegu come out with an sdk to write fw, something Icom promised with the 7800 but has yet to deliver on.

Some feel the g90 has seen its last fw update due to past behaviour by Xiegu with previous rigs, but most if not all of them were hardware rigs, not sdr. Xiegu says there will be further updates for the 90 but their focus is on the new rig. There was an effort by someone in India to write their own fw, but I haven't got any details yet. I suspect Xiegu could increase sales over the present levels and longevity of their rigs if they made schematics and a fw sdk available. The schematics issue alone is problematic as no one is experienced in Xiegu repairs outside of Xiegu for all I know.

Offline secretlab

• Northern Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2021, 0937 UTC »
Xiegu has been working on the new product, the 6100 think it's called, so have put g90 fw updates on hold.
I thought I ordered one of the X6100 "first batch" units a while back but have so far been stuck in a continuing Twilight Zone episode with the seller (not Xiegu). If a radio turns up, I'll note it here.
ICOM IC-7300, Chameleon EMCOMMII 60' inverted L, HF+ Discovery, MFJ-1886 rotatable RX loop. Portable: Xiegu X6100, mcHF, Chameleon CHA-TDL delta loop, wires.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2021, 2015 UTC »
nice, hope you get it soon. Was wondering how it'd differ from the 90 so a report would be nice. I read the first batch was sent out in November?

Elf36

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2021, 2151 UTC »
Thanks for all of the feedback. I was just messing around on ebay and saw that there is a Xiegu XPA125B Power Amplifier HAM HF Radio 125W that goes for $549.00 dollars. What insane person would pay that to make a $435.00 put out 125 watts? There is also a waterfall display to pair with it for $449.00.

Elf36

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2021, 0145 UTC »
For those that have the Xiegu G90 - I noticed there is a stand with a cooling fan. How hot does the radio get? Do you feel like having the cooling fan is important?
Also if I get one, it would be used for both CW & PSK31 , just adding that info in case you think those modes would increase heat. Thanks

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Xiegu G90? Warmth???
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2021, 1949 UTC »
In RX stand-by, more than luke warm. That doesn't surprise me, since you have CPU's crunching to produce that spectrum scope / waterfall display. So far, the only long key-up time that I've had with it is the 10M local chit-chat here. It got more than luke warm, but not hot. Then again, I wasn't running full-bore 20W, except for a quick test from 1W - 20W when a friend asked to do so, for his curiosity. I've yet to do QSO's on AM and FM modes, but I suspect that would heat it up there. One way to reduce heat is to reduce the display brightness from 100%, (Which appeared to be default.), down to less than 50%. I took mine down to 25% and that's still bright enough for indoor viewing, and doesn't light-up the whole room at night. BTW, I've only had my Xiegu G90 for less than a month, used in 68 - 70 degrees F. My guess would be, if I was using this outside on Summer Time Field Day, in 80 / 90 degree weather, then a fan kit would be a must. Hmmmmmmmmm... This might be a nice hand warmer for the Winter Field Day. (Hi-hi...)
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2021, 0531 UTC »
For full power digital use the fan thingy is a good idea. The rig's designed to take heat and the pa is way underrated with respect to power out, but cool usually means longer life. The fan thingy also makes for a fine rig holder.

Been hearing from some that for fm use the best tx audio is produced when the mic gains set to 5 or so, stock is 10 wich is kinda hot.

Offline secretlab

• Northern Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2021, 2326 UTC »
nice, hope you get it soon. Was wondering how it'd differ from the 90 so a report would be nice. I read the first batch was sent out in November?

After a fairly hair-raising experience involving a lost shipment from November, Xiegu and Radioddity stepped up and sent another X6100 which was received today. Initial impression is good. Since reviews seem mixed so far, I'll check it out and report when I know more.
ICOM IC-7300, Chameleon EMCOMMII 60' inverted L, HF+ Discovery, MFJ-1886 rotatable RX loop. Portable: Xiegu X6100, mcHF, Chameleon CHA-TDL delta loop, wires.

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2021, 0025 UTC »
Xiegu G90 CHEATS :

http://mediafire.com/folder/gtbeia0d639ib/XIEGU

Andre
CoolAMRadio/OHR
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Elf36

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2021, 0116 UTC »
Has anyone tried PSK31 with the G90? I've heard there are a few things that need to be done differently than a standard HF rig.