We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: moderately on topic...no RFI from new humidifier  (Read 916 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
moderately on topic...no RFI from new humidifier
« on: November 21, 2021, 1827 UTC »
Just purchased a small ultrasonic humidifier for my office since the desert-like humidity levels play havoc with my sinuses.  I was pleasantly surprised that the wall briquette and the device did not hash up my radios....at least the bits of HF, VHF, and UHF I'm currently monitoring. 

That is all!
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

PXR-5

Re: moderately on topic...no RFI from new humidifier
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 0218 UTC »
Well that's certainly good news!

Nowadays I figured everything would generate RFI.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 0538 UTC »
You might have gotten lucky with a decently filtered switching wall wart power supply. 8)

For those note so lucky, a good quick read on improving wall wart regulation and filtering:

http://www.dxing.info/equipment/wall_warts_bryant.dx
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 2346 UTC »
You might have gotten lucky with a decently filtered switching wall wart power supply. 8)

For those note so lucky, a good quick read on improving wall wart regulation and filtering:

http://www.dxing.info/equipment/wall_warts_bryant.dx

Interesting reading, but quite outdated : it's about wall warts in the old way, with transformer on the 50/60 Hz mains frequency. Those old wallwarts were not so bad!

Nowadays, all wall warts are of the switching type : first, change the mains current to a high voltage continuous current, then use switching at some frequency between 30 and 120 kHz, where the transformer can be of light weight, then pass the output through diodes and (hopefully) capacitors. A switching PSU is a much more complex device, and can send HF noise on both the AC input and the DC output. The very bad ones are hardly producing 'DC' current, and can destroy the connected device rather quickly.
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****