We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sound of Hope (or Jammer)? 6865 AM 1230 UTC 22 NOV 2021  (Read 1198 times)

Offline ✠ Blue Max

• View Profile
    • Blue Max's Off-Air Shortwave Pirate Radio Recordings
    • Email
Sound of Hope (or Jammer)? 6865 AM 1230 UTC 22 NOV 2021
« on: November 22, 2021, 1233 UTC »
Was very well audible here at gray line. S7/9.

There was what sounded like a sign-off at 1207 and back on a few minutes later.

Starting to suffer from increased noise now at 1235 as the gray line moves west.

Wish I could tell the difference.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 1238 UTC by Blue Max »
QTH in suburban Maryland, 15 miles NE of Washington, D.C.
40' sloper and a DX-394 (unmodified)
Please eQSL to beasley dot leonard at gmail dot com
Using Shazam, which sometimes misidentifies songs!
Archive of my off-air shortwave pirate radio recordings.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Sound of Hope (or Jammer)? 6865 AM 1230 UTC 22 NOV 2021
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 2348 UTC »
Most SOH transmissions are jammed, and the few that aren't (and Ron from CA is the expert there) are on very, very low power, something like 100 W. If you hear something "well," that's a very good clue that it's jamming and not SOH. In fact until recently, when Ron reported hearing positive ID (in Mandarin, but he knows enough to recognize it) on one such frequency, I personally considered this station totally impossible to receive due to China's concerted efforts at jamming.

SOH does have a website with online streaming. You can search for that, have your browser translate it into English, click on the live stream, and compare the audio. I know from experience that livestreams can be delayed by as much as a minute or two, but generally the programming is different enough that if you're hearing the jamming, you'll know pretty quick.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Ron - Calif.

• View Profile
Re: Sound of Hope (or Jammer)? 6865 AM 1230 UTC 22 NOV 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 0303 UTC »
Nov 23 - Sound of Hope (Taiwan), on 6865.07 kHz. (SOH is often found slightly off frequency, unlike CNR1 jamming
which is always on exact frequency), at 0806 UT, with the news in Chinese; very weak reception; SOH // 6214.96 //
6230 // 6280 kHz. Checked later and heard 6865.00 kHz., with *0917, start of very strong CNR1 program jamming,
which was // 6175 kHz.

To determine if you are hearing SOH or CNR1 jamming, please check for a non-jamming CNR1 frequency (I normally
like to check 6125 or 6175, to find if it is CNR1 programming) to find if they are parallel. The other positive way to
confirm which it is, please check at top-of-the-hour. CNR1 always has time pips, while SOH never has time pips.
Signal strength is also important. SOH is normally weak, unlike the much stronger CNR1 signal.

If you are fortunate enough to catch the ToH SOH ID, it is "Xiwang zhi sheng guoji guangbo diantai" (Sound of Hope
international broadcast station), given twice (once by OM and once by YL), then into the news. My audio of a typical
ToH SOH ID format is posted at http://bit.ly/3l6V2kn .

Hope this helps. Ron