We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 1710AM 0315-0345Z 11/24 SPANISH RELIGIOUS  (Read 2972 times)

Offline taschenrechner

• Я робот. Я работаю на заводе.
    • View Profile
UNID 1710AM 0315-0345Z 11/24 SPANISH RELIGIOUS
« on: November 25, 2012, 0411 UTC »
Excellent signal here in Houston. I had this in my car today as I was driving around the city. Lots of Spanish sermons and religious music. The only ID I ever got was:

"Estás escuchando 1710, la frecuencia con propósito", which is "you're listening to 1710, the frequency with purpose". Google isn't helping me here.

This evening, also back in my car, I heard a program from Radio Transmundial being played.  Scans of their website make no reference to that frequency, but does say that they broadcast in Venezuela. That could be a possibility.

Any ideas as to what this one could be?
Airspy HF+ Discovery, Youloop.  SDR++, GQRX,
QSL to: kj4wna@gmail.com

Offline jcfontaio

• View Profile
Re: UNID 1710AM 0315-0345Z 11/24 SPANISH RELIGIOUS
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 1500 UTC »
Also heard here in Southern Ontario last night on 1710 AM (0444 Z on Nov 25) with SP religious music mixing with a station playing a PSA loop for Hurricane preparation.

Don't know who either of these stations are.

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 1919 UTC »
taschenrechner: if you're hearing this during daylight hours then it's probably local to you.

jcfontaio: the PSA loop comes from the Hudson County, NJ. TIS station.  Though a great low power DX catch, it has become a nuisance here trying to hear pirates on this frequency.  Given your location, the Spanish religious music was most likely coming from "Radio Celestial" from the Bronx.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 2105 UTC »
taschenrechner: if you're hearing this during daylight hours then it's probably local to you.

jcfontaio: the PSA loop comes from the Hudson County, NJ. TIS station.  Though a great low power DX catch, it has become a nuisance here trying to hear pirates on this frequency.  Given your location, the Spanish religious music was most likely coming from "Radio Celestial" from the Bronx.

As Kilo states I absolutely agree.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline taschenrechner

• View Profile
Re: Re: UNID 1710AM 0315-0345Z 11/24 SPANISH RELIGIOUS
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 0204 UTC »
Yeah, its definitely local, but its a huge signal. I can get it all over Houston. Problem is, it just occasionally IDs as 1710, as above. None of the programming appears to be original, or even locally produced. Just lots of Spanish language ministry programming.

I guess I have a new project to work on. And at least my Spanish is getting some use.

Offline taschenrechner

• View Profile
Re: Re: UNID 1710AM 0315-0345Z 11/24 SPANISH RELIGIOUS
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 2346 UTC »
Well, I figured it out.

Finally caught an ID as Radio Hermon early this morning. Later today I was riding down the road and saw Iglesia Monte Hermon. Coincidence, of course, but they are related, it turns out.

www.radiohermon.com

Part 15 station, apparently, but I can hear them clear across town most days.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns