We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Snow in WNY  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Snow in WNY
« on: November 28, 2021, 1656 UTC »
Woke up this morning to 32 degrees and light snow on the ground. One to three inches is predicted for today, winter is just around the corner.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 1659 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: Snow in WNY
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 1045 UTC »
Got our first accumulating snowfall of the season Saturday/Sunday as well... had to shovel a couple inches of the heavy white stuff off of the driveway.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Snow in WNY? Keep that up there!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 1913 UTC »
Yes!!! I do not miss it. However, it does make for some interesting daytime Medium Wave listening. How so??? Try the easy catches, like the weaker Rochester and Toronto station. Even try 1kW stations, 790AM WLSV, or 600AM WFRM, and see how strong they comes-in with snow on the ground. Might as well take advantage of it, since you are stuck with it.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Snow in WNY
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 0227 UTC »
 ThaDood, that sounds interesting but snow melt is on the way starting tomorrow. We are in for a few days of above freezing weather.
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com