We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Aircraft listening tips  (Read 1635 times)

Elf36

Aircraft listening tips
« on: November 02, 2021, 2059 UTC »
So, as a said in the other post, I have been listening to some aircraft activity here and there it's it's pretty interesting so far. I have a large airport about 15/18 miles away and see planes all the time when I'm outside. What I was wondering about is - What types of lingo and call sign information do you key in on to have an idea of where the aircraft might be currently or heading to? This may not be so simple though. Just wanted to see if anyone listens for certain info that I'm unaware of? Thanks

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

Re: Aircraft listening tips
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 2316 UTC »
Thanks, Rob, I'll look at the links first thing in the morning. Had to look at a monitor for a good portion of my day and have a bit of a headache.

Elf36

Re: Aircraft listening tips
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 1122 UTC »
Thanks again Rob. This was exactly the type of info I was looking for.