We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WRTH 2022: The Final Edition  (Read 1526 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
WRTH 2022: The Final Edition
« on: December 09, 2021, 2330 UTC »
https://swling.com/blog/2021/12/wrth-2022-two-very-important-announcements/

WRTH’s publisher, Nicholas Hardyman, shared the following announcement today:

Having produced this book for the past 24 years we are very sorry to announce that WRTH 2022 will be the final edition of World Radio TV Handbook produced and published by WRTH Publications. This was a hard decision to make and one we only made after a lot of discussion. We know that many people rely on WRTH and greatly enjoy getting the new edition every year. We realise that this news will be disappointing for many people.

We want to thank you all for your loyal support over the years.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: WRTH 2022: The Final Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 1817 UTC »
Amazing they made it this long. I suppose due the fact they also covered fm, as swling is definitely an ok boomer hobby and dying with us. All the rest are long gone, ferrels, passport, etc. There's always Glenns;
http://www.worldofradio.com/
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 0334 UTC »
I used to get both Passport to Worldband Radio & WRTH. Have both going back to the early '90s (with some gaps). While the online stuff is generally more current throughout the year, I like the paper as its a nice historical record (plus, serves well when out of range of the Internet).
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 2014 UTC »
Agreed, I kept all mine so I can look and see who used to be on a certain freq and time.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 0342 UTC »
I liked the articles plus the library binding. As a resource it's unmatched for finding out if those stations QSL and how to get them a signal report. It wasn't necessary year in and year out, and I grabbed 2021 already because that was the 75th Anniversary edition. But I'm going to get this one too. I just hope they can find a way to continue online - if they were to update regularly like Eibispace, there'd almost be no need for any of the other online SWBC schedule sites.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 2009 UTC »
Just found my 2022 WRTH in my mailbox today. I guess the last one I will ever get.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 0044 UTC »
Passing of an era, and I'm not feeling happy about it... PopComm, Monitoring Times, Shortwave magazine from the UK, Passport, WRTH, Ferrells UTE book (I still have a copy somewhere), and even the ham mags (most of which I think are gone), it provided something that the internet simply can't.

I haven't bought a WRTH in years, but then, it was because whenever I saw one I didn't have the expendable funds to purchase one. Last time I got an SWL mag was in 2011 or 2012 (?) when Monitoring Times was still publishing.

The lesson overall, I guess, is to enjoy what you've got while you can.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 1046 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 0233 UTC »
Passing of an era, and I'm not feeling happy about it... PopComm, Monitoring Times, Shortwave magazing from the UK, Passport, WRTH, Ferrells UTE book

Kinda like reading the Church bulletins at a funeral mass.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns