Technical Topics > Equipment

bigger LOG.....

(1/2) > >>

IQ_imbalance:
Getting ready to embark on a great experiment....expanding my current LOG (~8x10m) quite a bit.  Going to run around the house (driveway crossing be damned) for a 35x20m loop. 

Fingers crossed...if it works i'll be able to move my feed line much much closer to the shack in addition to whatever additional benefits a larger antenna might have.....

Now if i can only find my yard staples....

IQ_imbalance:
....aaaaand noise.  Lots and lots of noise.  Put a broadcast HPF on the coax, but that didn't really help :( .  Tried playing around w/ the gain, and still no joy.  Going to see if it gets better this evening as sometimes there's periodic QRM around the neighborhood.....

This was with the smaller loop...although not this evening.

ChrisSmolinski:
Noise or overload?  Which SDR? Did you try backing down the gain?

IQ_imbalance:

--- Quote from: ChrisSmolinski on December 04, 2021, 2159 UTC ---Noise or overload?  Which SDR? Did you try backing down the gain?

--- End quote ---
AFEDRI-SDR.  Don't think it's overload, it's not blanketing across the whole spectrum (and, if it matters the SDRDX OVL light isn't flashing!).  I have an AM station close so thought that might be the issue but the HPF is working great as I barely see anything under 2.5MHz even with the gain pushed up. If i drop the gain i lose pretty much even broadcast HF signals....

Thought it might be the hot tub since the antenna runs near that (and my heat pump) but shut those off and the noise persists.  Suppose it could be the neighbor's....

here's one of the 'hot spots'....the noise spikes are about 26.5kHz apart.....

IQ_imbalance:
going to try one more thing....at the moment my antenna feeds into a balun probably 80 feet from my shack, so there's a pretty significant run of coax between there and my radio.  Since the antenna now goes all the way around the house, i can tap into it probably 6 feet away now.  Will do that, drop the gain, and see what happens. 

At the moment I can run the gain all the way up on 20m, but anything lower and i have to drop it by half and pretty much lose any useful signal. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version