We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Re: Another New Dasher? 4095.92, 2212Z, KPH SDR  (Read 1629 times)

Offline MojaveBeaconeer

• View Profile
Re: Another New Dasher? 4095.92, 2212Z, KPH SDR
« on: December 08, 2021, 1633 UTC »
Hello Heathkit,

Don't feel "stung" by the edict to look-up the beacon listings, plus there are folks I know who never would admit nor list any bcn. freqs. 

Jim likely was making a kind suggestion rather than an admonishment.  I understand your sensitivities there. 

Notice however, although I was one of the (regretfully) starters of this whole mania back in 1988 and then in 1997 (4096ers); I decided to become far less visible and verbose here at HFU after 2020. 

Above the (annoying cacaphony?) of the DW unit (I listen in USB-mode above 4095.61 kHz to rid of it's too wideband signal - OK with the CW telemetry); then I can listen to the much more subtle interplay of the dashers fast and slow.  I am happy DW (at least) was put below 4095.6 so it could be tuned-out.  Another deep friend of mine in NM agrees - he loves the mellow dashers fast & slow but hates the cacphony of the DW beacon which is too blatant, and I must absolve myself of any potential suspicion of involvement in it - NEGATIVE. 

In fact I have decided to stick to day/Sun only beacons under 1/3 watt so they do not propagate in a huge footprint at night unlike the former glory of the 4096 / 4097 clusters 20 years ago.

So... I think I was a point person to begin this mania, and notice I am still a "newbie" (oh I was upgraded to Junior) here LOL/hi!  The robot of this site decides who is the Newbie and who is not, but often, perhaps, the inverse is true.

This is a rare check-in to add necessary input. 

I keep to a lower profile re. the desert beacon stuff.  Well heck, Uncle Charlie (the Band Crammer Entity of Earth) is VERY responsible for horrid saturation levels of AM/FM broadcast station cram-jam on the once very DXable MW band and also FM! 

Now the crap on AM/FM is so ugly and noxious I admit to 99% dropping out from broadcast DXing - rarely do I scan the clogged/traffic-jam/graveyarder band of AM... (hardly now) compared to pre-1979 WARC- decisions and the splitting of the band into 9 kHz spacing (still wonderful for TP/TA DXing) and the aftermath of that, which for a brief spell until mid-1982 -- such as when the "Clear Channel Busters" began to come OTA - example of hundreds: 880 KIXI Mercer Isl./Seattle ruining the once lovely 882 1YC/4BH mix with a SLOOOW SAH. al night until 1YC signed-off.   Splatter ensued.  Gone!

The politicized AM band is so ugly now I cannot hang around listening to AM most days unless I employ VERY directional Beverage antenna for AM DXing, and this is only seasonal.

The "refuge" away from increasing AM/FM-BCB band-cramming thanks to Charlie became SW/HF... relative "wide open spaces" actually declining in Intnl. SWBC band-cram as the Internet rose-up, although I was saddened at the decline of the once glorious 60mb Tropical Band BC stations like an "alter-band" enjoyable away from the MW poison.

HF is now so "uglyfied" all over nowadays = so full of "junk" signals such as OTHB radar noise so wide-band; and digi-crud.  Too much of the HF ham bands are full of noxious SSB QSOs and Linear Amplifier bragging/equipment talk (I hardly know any of the new "stuff" on the ham-market; nor do I really care).  HAMQRM-digi-crud noise and LinAmp. splatter abounds - noise from skywave skip of arcing power-lines increases deep rural noise levels often to S5-S7 and above - inescapable...

So I flee down to the VLF/ELF and Schumann Resonance frequencies for deep research...  EXCEPT, whistlers and Dawn Chorus are largely GONE (even at high-geomagnetic latitudes) despite oodles of mag. storms occurring over the past decade but which result in little natural-radio sounds to be heard and recorded, so unlike the 80s and 90s.

Now... I just keep on the fringe of radio/do my thing/contribute a sprinkling of input/and vanish into the woodwork again, folks. The glory days seem to be gone in place of the Digital Devil Risen and it's Panopticon ability to "know all" --- SDRs that can TDoA-score a location of a pir8 or beacon quickly (and these are only the "civvie" units--- go figure). 

The fun is over almost compared to decades ago, and "old timers" I speak to agree... Good Luck.... you are going to need it more and more...

73MB
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 1644 UTC by MojaveBeaconeer »

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 0950 UTC »
As I recall your Inyo Whooper produced a "wide band" signal and nobody complained about it. That used to be one of my favorites to catch at home and I was sorry to see it go.

https://youtu.be/LKrQYG38KjA

The daytime only wideband noise maker on 6627 is yours also. You even named it "Gendarme" but the guy in NM must have given his blessing to it's blatant cacophony?

Besides, in November of 2020 you said you were quitting beacons altogether and bid farewell to the forum and beacons or something to that effect.
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,74278.0.html

You even stated it as good that others were carrying the torch but now you and the NM guy voice disapproval of "blatant" beacons?

It is always funny to hear old dudes claim the "glory days are over" once they realize that they have been replaced by enthusiastic newbies. The newbies don't give a damn about gaining approval from any old timers.   ;D

« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 1448 UTC by Teotwaki »
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 1826 UTC »
HAHA!

Yes!

Euthanise the aged!

wait a min

im old too!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 1855 UTC »
HAHA!

Yes!

Euthanise the aged!

wait a min

im old too!

:D :D :D

Forced euthanasia would rapidly empty out the forum!
Jim

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Ham Radio (and occasionally Part 15) Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 1931 UTC »
If I recall correctly, from another post in this forum, DW was intended more as a method of supplying reliable weather telemetry, than as a propagation beacon. If that is the case, it would seem to be a resounding success in that regard.

I miss the golden age of shortwave broadcasting, of which I was lucky enough to catch the tail end in the 70's and 80's. However, things change, time marches on, and the old fun is replaced with new types of fun. Besides, if everything stayed the same, life would be as dull as dishwater.
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 1602 UTC »
snip

I miss the golden age of shortwave broadcasting, of which I was lucky enough to catch the tail end in the 70's and 80's. However, things change, time marches on, and the old fun is replaced with new types of fun. Besides, if everything stayed the same, life would be as dull as dishwater.

Try out the Pirate Radio broadcasters. Some pretty impressive signals come up often.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/board,3.0.html

In particular watch the announcement thread.  https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/board,28.0.html
Jim

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 0013 UTC »
HAHA!
Yes!
Euthanise the aged!
wait a min
im old too!

:D :D :D

Forced euthanasia would rapidly empty out the forum!

Old and enthusiastic person checking in here!
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535