We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: BOGs: Some questions for those who use them  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
BOGs: Some questions for those who use them
« on: December 02, 2012, 0205 UTC »
I noticed that some members are using BOGs or Phased BOGs to listen on. I'd like to try some but need some clues:

- What length would you recommend for 7MHz?
- How do you feed/terminate them [IF terminated at all]???
- What do you employ to phase them together?
- Does anyone have a circuit/scheme for phasing [again around 7MHz]
- If using coax, do you short ends/leave open & how are coaxials fed at RX end if using coax [have a bunch of RG59 foil CATV avail. to me]

Thanks in advance!

Rafman
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
Re: BOGs: Some questions for those who use them
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 1621 UTC »
I use phased BOGs with great success for medium wave DXing, but it wouldn't be my first choice for 7 MHz.  I think there are better antennas choices (horizontal loops come to mind), but since I'm already using them for MW I make the best of it for shortwave and they seem to work well enough up to about 10 MHz considering it's just a wire laying on the ground with absolutely no elevation.  With that said...

What length would you recommend for 7MHz?

I use a 500 FT length phased against a 400 FT length.  On medium wave, they are highly directional off the ends.  On shortwave, they seem omni-directional.  For phasing to properly work (medium wave), one needs to be shorter and they should be spaced about a foot or two apart and parallel to one another.  On shortwave frequencies I find that the phaser has no effect in nulling signals as its intended purpose on medium-wave.  Instead, the phaser is useful for cancelling man-made noise on shortwave frequencies.  I've never tried shortening the wires for higher frequencies above 1700 KHz, so I can't comment on the proper length needed.  Again, I think there are better solutions for 7 MHz.

How do you feed/terminate them [IF terminated at all]

I use a pair of 60 FT RG-8X cables, from the house to the feedpoint out back.  I have 8 FT ground rods just outside the house where the coax enters, and another out back where the transformers are at the feedpoint (to ground the coax shields).  Inside the shack, the two coax cables connect to the antenna phaser.  Out back, the coax cables are connected to a pair of I.C.E. 182A transformers.  The BOG wires connect to these transformers.  The BOG wires are not terminated at their far ends.  This allows the desired null to be "steerable" on medium wave frequencies.  At shortwave frequencies, the effect is lost but still useful for cancelling noise and lowering the noise floor a bit.

What do you employ to phase them together?

There are several different antenna phasers on the market, or you can roll your own.  I use this one: http://www.dxtools.com/Phaser.htm

For medium wave DX, I don't think there's a better setup.  I've logged some unbelievable stuff including Australia on 702 KHz at 9,000+ miles on more than one occasion.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 1626 UTC »
Thanks for the write-up, Kilokat7. Do the BOG wires actually need to be on the ground, or can they be a few feet above? I have some woods behind the house I could probably run them through.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 2349 UTC »
Thanks for the write-up, Kilokat7. Do the BOG wires actually need to be on the ground, or can they be a few feet above? I have some woods behind the house I could probably run them through.

I've never tried raising the wires as I also wanted a stealth antenna.  After a year or two of ground growth and falling leaves, the wires are no longer visible for most of their length.

PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 0233 UTC »
FWIW an avid contester I've met in my travels with 10+ acres of room to spare has about 5 of these in different directions.  He uses them on 160M for receive, and has them rigged so he can reverse them with some sort of relay arrangement.  He uses 450 ohm ladder line and has them suspended about 4 feet above ground.  I think he said most of them are around 500-800' in length.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Billy the Mountain

• MO
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 2301 UTC »
FWIW an avid contester I've met in my travels with 10+ acres of room to spare has about 5 of these in different directions.  He uses them on 160M for receive, and has them rigged so he can reverse them with some sort of relay arrangement.  He uses 450 ohm ladder line and has them suspended about 4 feet above ground.  I think he said most of them are around 500-800' in length.

+-RH

That sounds like a standard Beveridge antenna, rather than a Beveridge-On-Ground.  Just sayin'.
--
Somewhere in MO.
TR7/Sony 2010/SDRPlay/40m dipole/Various other aerials.
Ubuntu 14.04, FreeBSD 10.2, why am I putting OSs in my sig?