We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: So you think you are are beginning to understand propagation?  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 0151 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
Re: So you think you are are beginning to understand propagation?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 1639 UTC »
Haven't read all of it yet but does it talk about the "magic cloud"?  :)
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 1225 UTC »
Hey All,

FASCINATING INFO !!!

I read  along time  ago( a bit fuzzy now)  about ULF /whistler/ sferics being "conducted" down "tubes" in the magnetosphere and actually getting a measure of natural AMPLIFICATION from  incoming solar radiation ,so far , the only known example of NATURAL  radio amplification (??).

I also just read /printed a Hardcore Dx Medium Wave Propagation article  by KN4LF, good stuff there.

de N1NQC
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 0515 UTC »
My guy at haarp did studies back in the day that showed the idunnosphere reradiates sigs, not refracts them.There's llke 300k volts and zillions of amps up there just waiting for you to figure out how to make it into a triode.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

UncleJohn

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 1921 UTC »
My guy at haarp did studies back in the day that showed the idunnosphere reradiates sigs, not refracts them.There's llke 300k volts and zillions of amps up there just waiting for you to figure out how to make it into a triode.

You Are Definitely fanning the flames of my Paranoyia to expedite my...
"Headin' off the Grid... >:(
Headin' off the Grid...  >:(
Me shall be rejoycing.. ;D
Livin' OFF The GRID!!!"8)
( & believe me when I say "i am so serial you guys...")

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 0701 UTC »
So much par up there it melted the shuttles kite string that one time.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/STS-75_incident

Offline jasonRF

• Greater Lowell, MA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 1635 UTC »
Hey All,

FASCINATING INFO !!!

I read  along time  ago( a bit fuzzy now)  about ULF /whistler/ sferics being "conducted" down "tubes" in the magnetosphere and actually getting a measure of natural AMPLIFICATION from  incoming solar radiation ,so far , the only known example of NATURAL  radio amplification (??).

I also just read /printed a Hardcore Dx Medium Wave Propagation article  by KN4LF, good stuff there.

de N1NQC
Yup - the whistlers are essentially guided along one of the Earth's magnetic field lines, and can bounce back and forth between the hemispheres.  It is possible to estimate the integrated electron density along the propagation path by looking at the shape of the whistler in a frequency-time spectrogram of ground-based measurements of these waves.  Some researchers at Stanford mapped out the plasmasphere using these kinds of measurements before their work was corroborated by later spaceborne measurements (I want to say back in the 1950s or 1960s, and cannot recall the researchers name!). 

There are actually a bunch of different instabilities in plasmas that cause waves to grow.  Most of the naturally produced plasma waves in the ionosphere and magnetosphere start out as thermal noise that is amplified by these instabilities (whistlers generated by lightning are a notable exception).  Some of these plasma waves are electromagnetic, while some are so-called 'electrostatic' waves that have a negligible magnetic component.  A couple of decades ago I was in graduate school studying these kinds of waves using instrumentation on spacecraft.  I've been fascinated by the ionosphere and magnetosphere for a long time, so it is kind of weird that I am just now getting interested in shortwave!

jason

UncleJohn

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 2301 UTC »
Hey All,

FASCINATING INFO !!!

de N1NQC
Yup - the whistlers are essentially guided along one of the Earth's magnetic field lines, and can bounce back and forth between the hemispheres.  It is possible to estimate the integrated electron density along the propagation path by looking at the shape of the whistler in a frequency-time spectrogram of ground-based measurements of these waves.  Some researchers at Stanford mapped out the plasmasphere using these kinds of measurements before their work was corroborated by later spaceborne measurements (I want to say back in the 1950s or 1960s, and cannot recall the researchers name!). 

There are actually a bunch of different instabilities in plasmas that cause waves to grow.  Most of the naturally produced plasma waves in the ionosphere and magnetosphere start out as thermal noise that is amplified by these instabilities (whistlers generated by lightning are a notable exception).  Some of these plasma waves are electromagnetic, while some are so-called 'electrostatic' waves that have a negligible magnetic component.  A couple of decades ago I was in graduate school studying these kinds of waves using instrumentation on spacecraft.  I've been fascinated by the ionosphere and magnetosphere for a long time,
                           so it is kind of weird that I am just now getting interested in shortwave!
jason

Don't Forget To Bring Your Aluminum Hat!  ::)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 1330 UTC »

Aluminum lets through  too much of the bad energy  used to read my thoughts.

I've gone over to a  pure copper  hard hat now  :) !
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 1932 UTC »
You need ferrous materials to block rf best, a viking helmet would be a good start.