We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: An Introduction to DXing the MF Marine Bands? Sure...  (Read 960 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
An Introduction to DXing the MF Marine Bands? Sure...
« on: December 20, 2021, 1855 UTC »
https://swling.com/blog/2021/12/guest-post-an-introduction-to-dxing-the-mf-marine-bands/         Been a while since I've checked-out the Marine MW band. I still have a couple of radios with that band listed on them.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: An Introduction to DXing the MF Marine Bands? Sure...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 1922 UTC »
It's a fun band, I often will pick up coastal stations in the winter (including recently) just above the MW band in the 17xx kHz range, while looking for pirates.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 0031 UTC »
     Thanks to ThaDood for very interesting information!
Marine radio base stations have largely disappeared from the air, replaced by satellite technology.
 Only weather stations are left to please our ears!
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 0521 UTC »
Back when infotec m600s roamed the earth you could always find some poor ruskii trawler to copy hours of sitor messages from, even in the poorest propagation. Now it's just wx and notams to listen to.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline liduck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 1102 UTC »
I was surprised to hear USCG doing a transmitter check on 2182 this morning.  He was too fast to catch which station it was ("transmitter 13") but definitely wasn't Canadian.  Didn't the USCG give up watching 2182 back around 2013?  Heard on Chris's 500ft beverage SDR, that set-up is outstanding, thanks for keeping it going! 

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns