We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Tis the season, for new Bubble-Pack FRS / GMRS radios for Christmas to monitor.  (Read 1495 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
So, with warmer weather, and being the Christmas / NYD Week, I'm hearing daily activity from neighborhood kids on what must be new Bubble-Pack GMRS / FRS radios. I keep an older Midland Bubble-Pack HT on constant scan, on a 6VDC power supply, and did it originally to hear hunters and get heads-up on local road construction around here, since they use these radios as well, instead of commercial VHF / UHF HT's. The most annoying thing about monitoring these are the kids whaling on the Call button constantly. This doesn't usually last, and by the 2nd week of January, they almost always give it up. I use to hear this in the 1980's and 1990's every Christmas on CB CH14, when kids would get CB walkie-talkies for Christmas and try them hard for a couple weeks, then the buzz of them would fizzle out. So, if you want to set-up your scanner to listen-in, or use a spare bubble-pack radio and hit scan, like I do, FREQ here,     https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Elf36

I had almost forgotten about this, but about two years ago I was doing just had you said and listened for FRS/GMRS activity. It didn't take too long before I heard some kids chatting and using some words I can't say here. I keyed up with a more "Advanced' transceiver' and ask if their mother knew they talked that way? Radio silence for the next few mins until one kid said 'Who was that?' The other kid said 'I don't know, let's meet back at my house.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Wait until ya mess with hunters that do that whispering in the mic to each other. Hmmmmmmmm... Should I have said that? (He-he...)
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
Myself and a 5 year old were out in the woods with Cobra bubble pack models recently - so ok our handles were Paw Patrol characters sometimes switched to T Rex Ranch YouTube monetizers when others suddenly came on laughing. I’m sure they enjoyed it. I’ve heard them before on the scanner , apparently they use them a lot
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns