We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Equipment Recommendations?  (Read 5420 times)

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment Recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2022, 2050 UTC »
Isn't that what everyone really wants from a rig?

Swan 350, that way one can work large swaths of a band.... simultaneously. :D
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2022, 0040 UTC »
I still see plenty of Swan's for sale on Ebay. Couple one with an amp and you'll be the most talked about guy for miles around.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2022, 0731 UTC »
I had a Swan 350, 20+ years ago. I still remember the creaking sounds the finals (which were TV sweep tubes) made when tuning up due to thermal expansion from them heating up.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2022, 1405 UTC »
My CB loving Uncle had one with tubes to spare. He'd been a TV repair man in the 50's and 60's and had all kinds of tubes. He got the Swan when his Heathkit 101 gave up the ghost. He had to have that SSB option, "It gives you a buncha extra channels!", he told me when SSB made it's appearance in the CB world in the very early 70's. Both radio's FM'ed like crazy, so he got that option w/o knowing it.

The Swan was in his bedroom when he died in 2006.

Offline LibertyCave WS7PB

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2022, 0124 UTC »
As a first radio I found the Icom 7100 to have been a good choice for me. Sadly their price went up a lot recent months. The ability to plug a cat cable in direct to a computer, the SWR meter, and the dual HF and VHF/UHF antenna ports make it a full featured rig. I bought mine about 5 years ago, and as my interests have grown in radio it has been fully capable of allowing me to experiment with them. WS7PB