We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: January 7 Nor'easter with photos  (Read 2012 times)

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
January 7 Nor'easter with photos
« on: January 07, 2022, 1123 UTC »
Well, this has turned out a bit more significant than anticipated.  I sit in a zone that was predicted to see snow accumulation of 3-5 inches by noon today.  As of 6am today, (1100 utc) we totaled 9 inches with more to come.  The past two hours have recorded snowfall rates of two inches an hour per radio reports. We have had a total of two inches of snow for the fall/winter season to date.  The Weather Channel indicated a bombogenesis situation has developed, now that's a name searching for a pirate radio station.  I have not seen the path of the storm but in interior southern New England,  we often get the worst of a Nor'easter when it tracts through 40N, 70W.

Yard shots from this morning, there is a drive way in the front yard shot between the maple and oak on left. I'm guessing deer/predator tracks visible in backyard shot.  https://imgur.com/a/IzDSUcK

update
1210 utc 10 inches
1415 utc 10.5 inches, final total
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 1534 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: January 7 Nor'easter
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 1335 UTC »
About 4 inches in Ledyard, Southeast CT and tapering off now.
Our daughter in Chaplin got well over a foot. Extremely varied amounts across the state.
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
Re: January 7 Nor'easter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 1420 UTC »
Six NOAA predicted inches here where Rt 84 meets the CT/MA border
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: January 7 Nor'easter with photos
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 2007 UTC »
We got the three NWS predicted inches of snow, plus another three unpredicted inches, here on the Mason Dixon Line.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: January 7 Nor'easter with photos
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 2244 UTC »
My location is north of Buffalo N.Y by 13 miles and we received a dusting of snow on Jan.7, but the city of Buffalo has set a new record for snowfall.
The amount of snow that fell on Thursday was measured at 17.8 inches, according to the National Weather Service. That shatters the previous record for Jan. 6 of 7.3 inches that stood since 1974. The amount was 3 inches short of the all time record of 20 inches. Typical lake effect snowfall since Lake Erie is wide open.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 2248 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com