We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: CB and JS8Call setup help  (Read 1781 times)

Offline BunkerKC

• View Profile
CB and JS8Call setup help
« on: January 12, 2022, 1324 UTC »
Hi all,

Hi all, I have a question about CB/11m (Yes, commence eye-rolling, I know.) I'm trying to set up a proof-of-concept over CB for purposes of sending JS8Call over CB.

Currently the setup is a CB radio hooked up to a USB sound card hooked to the laptop. However, I'm running into trouble hooking up the CB to the sound card: I can use the external speaker output 3.5mm jack to hook up to the sound card, but I can't easily connect the mic output to the sound card. The mic output is a basic 4-pin Cobra/Uniden, and I can't seem to find a way (or more likely I'm just too dumb) to make that connection. 

There does exist a 4-pin-to-3.5mm connector on ebay, but it's out of Australia and will take a month and $65 to get to where I am.

Do any of you smart people know of a workaround here, or know of an off-the-shelf CB radio that will easily connect to a usb soundcard? I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. Thank you all in advance.

(Also, for context: I have a Xiegu 5105 setup for JS8Call already. The above project is more just a "see if possible" attempt. The Xiegu is 5w, CB is 4w; CB should function similar to the QRP radio I think, so I'd like to see what operations look like using a pure CB setup, and not extrapolating using, say, 10m stuff.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 1404 UTC by BunkerKC »

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
Re: CB and JS8Call setup help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 1742 UTC »
If I'm understand you correct - maybe try the following:
The 4 pin Cobra/Uniden Mike connector is
Pin 1 - Massa/Ground
Pin 2 - Audio
Pin 3 - TX
Pin 4 - RX

Just shortcircuit pin 1 and 4 for RX
From Audio source/speaker/Soundcard
Wire audio plus to pin 2 and audio min to pin 1

Andre
CoolAMRadio/OHR
the Netherlands
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Offline BunkerKC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 1942 UTC »
That is pretty much what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I'm one of those very slow individuals who needs things explained like I'm 5 years old...

I did find a 4 pin TRRS adapter cable that should work for this, and is set up like this:

Pin 1: "L"
Pin 2: "R"
Pin 3: "V"
Pin 4: "Ground"

Using the Cobra/Uniden schematic you detailed, what would I hook up to where on this adapter cable for purposes of mimicking the "Transmit" function? My guess would be "Cobra Pin 3" to "Adapter Pin 3", and "Cobra Pin 1" to "Adapter Pin 4"?

If I'm understanding the USB sound card correctly, the "RX" radio function feeds to the headphone jack on the sound card; The "TX" radio function feeds to the mic jack on the sound card. The "RX" output should be handled via the CB's external speaker jack. The "TX" output is where I'm uncertain.

Adapter cable here: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PQTKMM7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If I'm understand you correct - maybe try the following:
The 4 pin Cobra/Uniden Mike connector is
Pin 1 - Massa/Ground
Pin 2 - Audio
Pin 3 - TX
Pin 4 - RX

Just shortcircuit pin 1 and 4 for RX
From Audio source/speaker/Soundcard
Wire audio plus to pin 2 and audio min to pin 1

Andre
CoolAMRadio/OHR
the Netherlands
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 1948 UTC by BunkerKC »

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 2109 UTC »
You need to use a interface such as a Signalink.

If you overload the signal, it won't be decipherable..

Plus digital modes are not allowed on the citizens band, just phone AM and SSB..

Plus you would need to use a SSB radio, not AM..

Digital modes tends to use Upper Side Band Only..  Everybody has to be on the same page for it to work, and there is no rules for the citizens band - since cb is only designed for local communications..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 2113 UTC by Polar Bear »