We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Three Cheers...  (Read 2491 times)

UncleJohn

Three Cheers...
« on: February 09, 2022, 2354 UTC »
..." Solar storms destroys Elon Musk's Satellites", story available on today's Weather Channel web page.  8)   ;D  8) 
 (the internet is Not the answer) just moi's opinion.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Three Cheers...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 0119 UTC »
Science: Newly launched SpaceX satellites falling out of orbit after solar storm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/spacex-satellites-solar-storm-1.6344938?cmp=rss

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 1313 UTC »
There is better detail in the story here:
https://www.space.com/spacex-starlink-satellites-lost-geomagnetic-storm

There is more to the story I imagine.  It isn't clear why they couldn't leave "safe mode".  Was this a design issue?  Were the spacecraft at a point that their propulsion system couldn't recover them?

There will be more details in the weeks to follow.  Starlink has to provide information to keep financial investors interested.

The spacecrafts use Hall thrusters to maneuver.
https://spaceflightnow.com/2019/05/15/spacex-releases-new-details-on-starlink-satellite-design/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 1317 UTC by NJQA »

UncleJohn

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 0001 UTC »
Thank You both for the links. Shall print them here @ the library, take them home & read them. Until then I invite you to listen to the following (I own the whole cd & have listened to it so often It's totally memorized in my recall mem.)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4W31QsA8NA  & now let's see if this works? Ha! I Don't Believe It--!  8)  ;)  8)

UncleJohn

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 0017 UTC »
I rarely do this-a separate posting on same subj... perhaps this has been discussed on hfu b-4: An inhanced visual of ALL The F***ING Space Junk circling Our Home!   ::)  ::)  nuff said!! !! Any takers/contributors?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 0021 UTC by UncleJohn »

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 2100 UTC »
Though the dots that represent objects in space swarm around the Earth, the space junk situation is not as dire as it may appear. The dots are not to scale, and space is a very big place.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/40173/space-debris
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 2102 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

UncleJohn

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 2351 UTC »
                                       and space is a very big place.
Awesome 8)

::)  And Our Atmosphere Is Very Thin  ::)

I just noticed the article specifically states it has not been updated since originally published-2009. (I'm paraphrasing).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 0033 UTC by UncleJohn »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 1342 UTC »
The Kessler syndrome (also called the Kessler effect, collisional cascading, or ablation cascade), proposed by NASA scientist Donald J. Kessler in 1978, is a scenario in which the density of objects in low Earth orbit (LEO) due to space pollution is high enough that collisions between objects could cause a cascade in which each collision generates space debris that increases the likelihood of further collisions. In 2009 Kessler wrote that modeling results had concluded that the debris environment was already unstable, "such that any attempt to achieve a growth-free small debris environment by eliminating sources of past debris will likely fail because fragments from future collisions will be generated faster than atmospheric drag will remove them".  One implication is that the distribution of debris in orbit could render space activities and the use of satellites in specific orbital ranges difficult for many generations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

UncleJohn

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 2242 UTC »
UmKay, one more thought 'bout Mr. Musk's "accidental" contribution...could a Mal-ware Hacker (Choose your favorite country/UNo what Eye mean!  :-X ) possibly have contributed to the "accident"? Just a suggestion?