We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Winter Field Day, January 29/30, 2022!  (Read 1279 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Winter Field Day, January 29/30, 2022!
« on: January 23, 2022, 1916 UTC »
https://www.winterfieldday.com/     Yeah... At the time of this writing, there a North American Sprint going on, (1/22-23/2022), but I heard several 75M SSB'ers sating that they were gearing up for this years Winter Field Day. Well, good! Any station that they contact, via non-repeater mode, is a point to them. Oh yeah... The AM Rally the weekend after that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 1920 UTC by ThaDood »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Elf36

Re: Winter Field Day, January 29/30, 2022!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 1432 UTC »
Last night was our coldest temps so far in Central Florida, down into the 30's. This morning I went outside and everything was covered with frost. It was weird to hear the grass crunch under my feet. I can't imagine being outside setting up antennas etc. It's funny to think that our lowest temperature was probably the high for most other states. 

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
30's??? That's what it is in SW WV this afternoon. And, North of me, they'd kill for above freezing. Only had a little over an hour last night to work this year's Winter Field Day. 160M was no phone but all CW contestants crammed-in below 1880kHz. Most activity was the upper 75M band. Apparently, I had to be corrected on my designation, not 1E, but 1H, for single op at home operations. I used only 20W, but apparently WV section was popular, since ops were commenting that they just were not hearing WV stations. (OK...) Filled a page of contacts with 75M, and only 1/2 page of 40M, all those were from "5" land. After 2AM, 75M stations were closing-up for the night, but 40M stations were still going. Wish that I had more time to work more of the contest, but all-in-all, that was a great +1hr of contesting last night and points giving. Next weekend??? The AM Rally. 73!!!!

I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 1958 UTC »
Hey, Elf,
Watch out for those falling Iguanas! ;D I hear that's a problem...
SDR-IQ / IC-R70 / IC-735 / FT-817ND / FT-991A, RSPduo,5 band vertical
Near Music City, TN

Elf36

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 2110 UTC »
Ha ha, that is absolutely a thing down here. More common further south of me, down towards Miami/Everglades. I have seen a few around. I actually got tail whipped by one when I got too close for a photo (It was very minor luckily) One thing about Florida is you never know what's gonna come crawling or flying by. It's so easy for animals from South & Central America to acclimate. There is an apartment complex around the corner from my office that has had two large  Agama lizards living there for at least 3 years. They are originally from Africa I believe. I see them running back and forth on a brick wall all of the time. We have a lot of reptiles in general. Native and invasive.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 2113 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 2117 UTC »
Around 25F last night. AFAIK, that is something like a 10-year low temp for this section of the gulf coast.

Do not think I have seen an iguana in the neighborhood, though I suspect it will happen eventually.

BTW, I have heard tegus could be moving further north in FL. Apparently they are already in GA and SC, too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 2155 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 2126 UTC »
Yes, it was unusually cold. Haven't seen temps that low in many years. It snowed here one year. I believe it was 1989. Of course, it didn't lay on the ground or anything. I haven't seen a Tegu yet in person, but I came across them online when I was googling the Agama's.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns