We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Repeater announcements  (Read 1034 times)

Elf36

Repeater announcements
« on: January 30, 2022, 1823 UTC »
I remember hearing repeaters with voice ID's etc back being very common in the 90s, but don't typically hear many, But after programming some new repeaters outside of my county. I realized there are still many that call with voice announcements of the repeater cal sign, Good morning, afternoon, evening etc and also current time. I just picked up a repeater that was announcing info about DXexpeditions on a program, called Amateur news log (Or line). Never heard that before? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was almost like listening to a shortwave broadcast.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 2116 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Repeater announcements
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 2125 UTC »
If you have a scanner or similar attached to an outdoor antenna, add the common 10m repeater frequencies. It has been quite a long time since I last bothered, but I did used to occasionally hear 10m repeater activity from even as far away as New England.

That said, I might do that later tonight. I have a couple of older non-trunking scanners collecting dust anyway.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 0251 UTC »
Yeah. I think I might get an older scanner for stuff like that one of these days. Just a simple set-up. No trunking etc needed. I'd like to use it for satellite, 2M simplex, and 10M FM as well.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 0406 UTC »
Just dug out my old Uniden BC355N. Still working. Been listening to local CB activity, and now on NOAA just make sure one of my 18' end-fed verticals will suffice for local VHF in the meantime. I have a small discone that needs deployed sometime. Maybe when it warms up a little.

An inexpensive RTL-SDR would accomplish much the same, and while direct sampling of HF leaves much to be desired, thankfully the common R820T/2 models often can receive down to around 24MHz in their proper native sampling mode.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip