We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Power Outage Dilemma  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
Power Outage Dilemma
« on: February 07, 2022, 0328 UTC »
Just got the power back after about two hours. I think some tree trimming crews earlier in the day had something to do with it. Just my guess.
But while it was down I thought, Great! I'll grab the PL-990 and enjoy some reduced QRM listening. And then, I thought no. No, I don't want to know how good it could be. So, I just sat with my wife, in the dark, and we enjoyed the quiet. Remember quiet?
~Really Something Other Than Else~
QTH: Dundalk, Maryland, USA
RSPdx, EFHW (N/S-ish), 60' dipole (NE/SW)
heyitserikmattson@gmail.com

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Power Outage Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 1512 UTC »
Out again. Okay, curiosity is too much.  ;D

Update: Meh.
Note to self: Replace laptop battery.  Ah! Power back on as typing this.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 1609 UTC by ErikMattson »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 0224 UTC »
Noise can travel for miles on HF and lower frequencies, so an outage oftentimes has to be rather larger for a significant noise floor change, at least in the experiences for my own immediate area.

As for an example, AFAIK, the only time I have ever actively heard a 120m broadcaster here other than WWV(H) was during a power outage. It might have been after a tropical weather event, but it was years ago, so the finer details are a little fuzzy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 0226 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 0213 UTC »
I think they sorted it out. Been okay since. And found out after that it was only a few blocks that were affected anyway. At least the laptop hangs on until I can get things shut down properly. Gotta hunt down a new battery so maybe I can continue listening for a bit. All good.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 2006 UTC »
I have experienced a handful of power outages since getting into this hobby six years ago, but generally have not had results to get excited about. I don't recall experiencing quiet like I do if I go out into the boondocks, but even when I've gotten away from RFI it's still not been much to hear. I believe a lot of that is to do with the time of day (there simply hasn't been much to copy in daylight hours) as well as location (unlike those on the east coast with a good bead on Europe, the signals just don't make it here that well). I'm much better primed for Asian and Pacific signals but 95% of them are CRI or CNR1.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 0006 UTC »
I've been in my house for 20 years and brought a portable to check when I moved in and it was very, very quiet. These days... not so quiet. Most of the noise comes from outside.

When the power goes out, I do see it as an opportunity to DX and often do. It is a world of difference. Although, I'm restricted to the battery operated ones and my larger ones must remain silent (FT-847, NC-183D, NC-125).

Minneapolis, MN

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns