We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Memory Load Software for the PRO-2006 ? (old school revival)  (Read 1676 times)

Finman

Back in the day, (early 80's) I had several Radio Shack Pro-2006 scanners. There were/are several great modification books published by Bill Cheek aimed at the Pro-2006. I installed many of these useful mods including one that added a custom RS232 interface that allowed you to load memories from a simple ASCII text file. This was the "HB-232" sold by Comtronics. Of course, no longer available, unobtainium.

The software was run on a PC running MS-DOS. The installation involved making connections between the HB-232 PCB and the front panel row and column button connection points on the Pro-2006. The programmed micro controller translated the RS232 commands to basically button pushes to program the scanners memories. It worked great!

Fast forward to today. I wanted to try and implement that same concept today for my current PRO-2006. (programming the scanner memories from a PC). The closest thing I could find is a program called "Programit" which is still downloadable but the components for the interface are no longer available. The interface uses a CMOS switch IC and a custom programmed serial to parallel IC. After doing some research (lots) I came to the conclusion that it might me possible but would most likely require coding some sort of micro controller, perhaps a Pic processor?. It's been many years since I've done any programming (quick basic, some C) so I might just have to throw in the towel on this one. It's a shame because the PRO-2006 is such a great scanner but I just can't see myself programing 400 memories with manual button pushes today.

Yes, I know about the Opto interface (won't program scanner memories) and I am fully aware of the SDR world, but I like  running receivers without depending on PC's for control.

An suggestions? comments?... all appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: Memory Load Software for the PRO-2006 ? (old school revival)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 1443 UTC »
I have limited experience with Arduinos but your idea sounds like something they could handle. I have 3 of the Pro-2004's and one Pro-2006 that could benefit from PC programming.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Finman

Re: Memory Load Software for the PRO-2006 ? (old school revival)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 1659 UTC »
I have limited experience with Arduinos but your idea sounds like something they could handle. I have 3 of the Pro-2004's and one Pro-2006 that could benefit from PC programming.

Yes, I thought about the Arduino or possibly the Raspberry Pi but like you, I have very limited experience with programming them. To mimic keyboard row and column button pushes on the 2006, you would need a 4x8 switch matrix output from these devices in addition to writing code to read text file/serial data and convert that.... a challenging goal to say the least...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 1939 UTC by Finman »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns