We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Weekend YouLoop Experiment  (Read 1757 times)

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
Weekend YouLoop Experiment
« on: February 07, 2022, 2319 UTC »
I have been looking at various small antennas.  Soon to be 72, I know a change will come in the future that will not allow me to have an outside wire antenna.

I have looked at the MLA-30, which is Okay if one wants to listen to shortwave broadcasters.  I tried the "mini-whip", which is an excellent antenna for listening to electronic noise.  When I got my AirSpy HF + Discovery, I also got the YouLoop. 

Using the YouLoop even with the HF + Discovery, it was clear that a preamplifier was needed.  I tried several ideas such as increasing the loop size.  The larger loop size was a help but a preamplifier was needed.  Going through my radio  stuff, I did not find a preamplifier that did the trick.

For another other idea, I purchase Nooelec LaNA preamplifier.  Another idea bit the dust.  This week stuck in the house due to the cold weather and COVID, I decided to try the YouLoop and the Nooelec LaNA preamplifier.

I was pleasantly surprised to find they were almost as good as my outside wire antenna in limited frequency ranges.  The YouLoop/LaNA work well from about 1 to 4 Mhz and in the FM broadcast band up to about 106 MHz.  I used 2 meter pieces of
cable for the loop elements, which are long and reduced the VHF performance.  The longer cable elements did help in the lower bands. 

The YouLoop/preamplifier in the 1 to 4 MHz range produces signals that are clearer due to less noise pickup and a lower noise floor.  Over the rest of the HF band, the wire is better.  But for listening to shortwave broadcasters, the YouLoop/LaAA is usable up to about 12 MHz. 

It seems to be hit or miss above 12 MHz.  I am not sure what is going on.  I tried using an antenna analyzer to determine the impedance of the YouLoop by itself as function of frequency.  I got inconsistent results, especially above 12 MHz.

I now have a good small antenna for listening in the house.  Below is a picture of the YouLoop and preamplifier on a wooden frame.  The loop dimensions are 48 inches wide by 45 inches high.  I hope this is a help for others.

Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Weekend YouLoop Experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 1805 UTC »
Thank you for the wright up on the YouLoop and pre-amp. I had been considering ordering that pre-amp from Nooelec for some time now to compliment my YouLoop but have never gotten around to it. I have both the Nooelec Flamingo AM and FM notch filters and have been pleased with them. Same with the YouLoop.

My method of mounting is far less sophisticated. All I use is a string between the top and lower couplers. This allows me to hang the antenna pretty much anywhere as for example in a window hanging from a curtain rod. The weight (pull) from the feed line keeps things taught and the the string between the couplers keep the loop formed.

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 2129 UTC »
An "Oh By the Way" on the Nooelec LaNA, there is no noise figure specification for it.  I have attempt to get an ideas of what the value is.  My guess is somewhere between 6 and 10 dB, which is fine for HF work.   I have been doing several different experiments and the wood frame does help.  Yes, my initial use of the YouLoop was hanging it on a wall with some cup hooks into the wall board.

Last night, I used it for Undercover Radio on 1720 K.  The YouLoop/LaNa was better for the station than the wire.

My next step is to try AirSpy preamplifier, with a noise figure specification on .75dB.   It also covers a wider range (50 KHz to 4 GHz).  It should be here by the weekend.  I will post the results after the weekend listening.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 2133 UTC by JustGreg »
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 2202 UTC »
I see that their preamps are manufactured by Uputronics. You can get further data here:
https://store.uputronics.com/index.php

I cannot find this 50 KHz to 4 GHz AirSpy preamp you are referring to.

The only similar product which I can see is one with a frequency range of 100 MHz to 4 GHz which will not cover the HF band. AirSpy has is listed as Wideband 0.1-4 GHz Preamp which in reality is 100 MHz to 4 GHz.

From the AirSpy web site: https://v3.airspy.us/product/upu-fpwb/
From the Uptronics web site: https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=102
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 2209 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 2354 UTC »
My mistake on frequency range.   I confused the LaNA low end with UpUtronics amplifier.  Oh well, I will try to it see how it works for FM broadcast and NOAA stations after I get it.  Thanks for the information on the data sheet.  I have it.

Just checked the data sheet and it lists 0.1 MHz on the low end.  So this weekend, I will be testing the UpUtronics.  Hopefully, it will be better.  It is almost twice the cost of the Nooelec LaNA.

On Nooelec LaNA, I had to get mine with a case from Amazon.  The Nooelec store does not list the version with the case. 

Thanks for the help ~SIGINT  :D

~SIGINT was correct.  There was a typographical error on the datasheet.  The low frequency is 100 MHz (0.1 GHz).  I told the manufacture of the error on his datasheet.  Hopefully, it will be corrected.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 2357 UTC by JustGreg »
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 0213 UTC »
If an e-field probe - i.e. an active miniwhip - returned mostly electronic noise, then you are likely testing these antennas in an EMI/RFI-rich location. No preamp is going to help. In fact, most will make it worse, especially with these various untuned small fractional-wavelength antennas.

Getting an antenna even just a few feet outside and/or above your residence can dramatically improve SNR.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 2042 UTC »
RobRich, thanks for the information.  I am not using E field sensor (active mini whip).  I am experimenting with the YouLoop, which at MF is small magnetic loop.  I have just completed an EMI source hunt through out the house and have found them (most were small USB chargers or LED lights).   I took the appropriate measures, either replace them with a better low noise charger or make sure they are off or removed from the power when I listen.  The remaining sources are located on other properties. 

Once interesting one is my neighbor's solar panels on their roof.  The DC to AC converters are very noisy in MF/HF region.  The noise is on powerlines and can be heard under them for about a 1/2 mile.   The good news is at my wire antenna location is far enough away so this source is not an issue.

I do agree with an additional preamplifier will not help any of the E-field type antenna, which always seem to pick local noise sources.  This is me trying to get the best performance out of the YouLoop.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 1745 UTC »
This has been an interesting experiment over the last two weeks.  Here is what I found out.

The YouLoop with longer elements does work.  But, one needs to have a low noise receiver.  For most HF receivers, one will need
a low noise preamplifier (noise figure < 2 dB).

I found the YouLoop with a preamplifier was best from 1 to about 4 or 5 MHz   It was OK for general purpose broadcast listening from 5 to 15 MHz  This is not the antenna for weak HF signals.  The aperture area of the YouLoop is not that large and limits performance.  It is a small magnetic loop.

I did find the YouLoop with a preamplifier was better for medium wave AM broadcasts than my wire antenna. It works OK in the VHF FM broadcast band.  For FM broadcast stations, it is about equal to a 29 inch whip or commercial
folded dipole.

I tried the Nooelec LaNA and generic Chinese one.  Both use  a RFIC  gain device and have similar performance.  I found powering the Nooelec LaNA through its USB port by a USB charger.  The USB charger introduced broadband noise into the LaNA and reduced its performance.  The Nooelec LaNA also needs a DC block on its output when powered through the USB port.  The generic Chinese one with a 12 volt "wall wart" does the job.

For its price, the YouLoop is worth it.  Yes, you need to add a preamplifier, but you can get a decent one for less than 50 dollars.  The total cost is close to that of MLA-30 loop and one gets better performance in my humble opinion.  Yes, both loops have limited HF performance.  I will keep my YouLoop combination and connect it to my Malachite DSP SDR for listening to the AM and FM broadcast stations.

Who knows, maybe the weather will give me a brief power outage and I can find out how it works in a lower noise environment.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 2154 UTC »
I was going by the comment: "I tried the "mini-whip", which is an excellent antenna for listening to electronic noise." ;)

I use active miniwhips, but they are away from the house and RF grounded.

I have used the YouLoop with an antenna tuner to improve the match with a portable receiver, thus improving the usable signal transfer enough to not need a preamp. Also the tuned circuit can serve as a passive preselector.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,71326.msg241978.html#msg241978
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 2342 UTC »
Thanks RobRich for the information.  Yes, I agree with using an antenna tuner or matching device with the YouLoop.  I tried my MFJ Versa Tuner (MFJ-941D) with YouLoop.  I found I could not match to the YouLoop.  One frequency, I did get a match to 2.5 to 1.  It was CHU on 3330 KHz.  The signal of CHU was improved a bit.  I found the noise floor dropped and signal increased.  It was an improvement, but not as great as I hoped.  I see you used a simple LC tuner.   Good idea, simpler things sometimes work better. 

Your antenna measurements are similar to what I found with my antenna analyzer. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 2349 UTC by JustGreg »
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com