We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SWL'ing covers, WBCQ TESTS 4790 KHZ IN FEBRUARY!  (Read 1757 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
SWL'ing covers, WBCQ TESTS 4790 KHZ IN FEBRUARY!
« on: January 26, 2022, 1907 UTC »
https://swling.com/blog/2022/01/wbcq-tests-4790-khz-in-february/     Cool!!!! I'm buying a couple hours on this myself. What I find a little strange is the push for this new FREQ, when they still have 3265kHz down. Eh... Whatever... Should have very similar propagation characteristics as WWV's 5MHz, and the 5-Channel 60M Amateur Radio Band, nice regional daytime coverage, and Coast to Coast coverage at night. Hey, I welcome that.  http://www.wbcq.com/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: SWL'ing covers, WBCQ TESTS 4790 KHZ IN FEBRUARY! 3265kHz explained.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 0749 UTC »
From Cosmik Debris:

What I find a little strange is the push for this new FREQ, when they still have 3265kHz down...

The main transmitter for the 3265 service is offline. It is the same model as the original 7415/7490 transmitter that burnt up because a long-term degradation of the plenum system. They aren't going to put this rig back online until a new plenum can be built. So, anything done on 3265 is using an auxiliary transmitter and is only used for experimental and test transmissions at this time.

There is also some antenna work that needs to be done for optimal operations down as low as 3265.

4790 is the transmitter that was formerly on 5130 and is ready to go.

THANKS Cosmik!!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: SWL'ing covers, WBCQ TESTS 4790 KHZ IN FEBRUARY!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 2123 UTC »
As long as it isn't another All-Stair-All-The-Time channel. They play very little of their interesting original content on the transmitters that really reach us out west.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: SWL'ing covers, WBCQ TESTS 4790 KHZ IN FEBRUARY! Bought time!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 0600 UTC »
Did it. Bought time on the new FREQ 4790kHz, Saturday, February 12th, 9PM EST, or 02:00UTC. (Not Bro Staire.) Also, bought an hour for the following weekend of 2/19-20/2022, but that time has yet to be sched and TBA.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re:WBCQ TESTS 4790 KHZ IN FEBRUARY! One more! 03:00UTC!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 0801 UTC »
And, one more time! 4790kHz AM, Saturday night, Feb. 19th, 10:00PM, or Sunday 03:00UTC. Same show, The Underground Jam. At that time, the West Coast USA, Mexico, and Canada, should be had, and possibly South America and Western Europe. Eh... Where the band Master is from in Moscow, that will be about dawn, so it may go that far. I suspect that at that time, 10PM EST, 4790kHz might skip over West Virginia, but you'll never know. The Southern States and the Caribbean should be had as well. Happy DX'ing!!!!   

(CORRECTION!!!!!!!!! 2/16/2022)  The ops at WBCQ asked if I can do 10PM EST. So, for those over in Europe, and Africa, that could actually work-out better.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 1938 UTC by ThaDood »

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: SWL'ing covers, WBCQ TESTS 4790 KHZ IN FEBRUARY! CODAR was in there?
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 1850 UTC »
According to Bill Tilford, Ilse Of Music, he suspects the interference to WBCQ's 4790kHz could be HF CODAR. Well, if that is indeed coming from out West, then at night, when near 4.8MHz goes long, would make sense. Any comments on this? http://www.codar.com/about.shtml    and     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastal_ocean_dynamics_applications_radar

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns