We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Need help: coax feed to a wire antenna  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Need help: coax feed to a wire antenna
« on: February 13, 2022, 2314 UTC »
OK - simple technical question. After my puppy dug up my previous longwire feed line, I've buried a coaxial cable inside underground PVC pipe along the outside of my backyard fence. She can't get to it there. The feed into the single balun is wire, not coax, so I need a simple and somewhat weatherproof way to connect the wire and the coax to each other.

Any ideas? I'm a writer in my day job, not an engineer, so I need to keep it simple for my abilities!
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline N9QIW

• Winfield, IN USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need help: coax feed to a wire antenna
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 0329 UTC »
If you want to go on the "cheap", make the connection in a plastic box of some sort,   sealing the holes where you ran the wire and coax into the box with a good sealant.   For the actual wire connection between the wire and the coax what is now safe,  use Gardner-Bender's liquid tape.   A few coats would natually be better than one.   Other options exist like using shrink tubing with diaelctric grease underneath as well. You may have better luck using a good coax to wire connector instead of directly wiring the connections...but...that is up to you. 
Alex
N9QIW
Winfield, IN

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns