We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Mixing tubes in Ameritron  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Radio Krasnoprudskoe

• Group W Bench
  • I am an idiot, I acknowledge that.
    • View Profile
    • Radio Pushka
    • Email
Mixing tubes in Ameritron
« on: February 17, 2022, 0521 UTC »
Is it ok to mix a 572b tube and a G811 tube in the same amplifier? or bad idea, and I need to save up for 572b?
Thank you!
"Is pushka his technician?" - Radio Ga Ga
 "Get better modulation, stupid" - Radio Genix
а нука, какая песня сейчас играет на Радио?
https://radiopushka.site/?page=voteforsongs
вот пожалуйста!
можно еще закзать на прослушку;)

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing tubes in Ameritron
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 1524 UTC »
There are slight capacitance differences and distinct gain differences between an 811a and a 572b. I would suggest not mixing them, as there could be a resulting distributed loading imbalance between the mixed tubes.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

• Group W Bench
    • View Profile
    • Radio Pushka
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 0248 UTC »
Yeah, thank you!
That's what I have noticed too when I switch a single 572b and a single 811A. I want to make sure.
Also, I have this issue, I have the load all the way down to 0 and anything slightly above that the output drops significantly. I have a 1.1 swr on my vertical antenna. Also, at this low load setting the tubes glow, they glow harder when I set it higher. Do you know how I can get it to where the tubes are not glowing and the power is not lost due to a tuning mismatch? I am operating at 6920 khz and the band setting is set to 40 meters.
вот пожалуйста!

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 2050 UTC »
Always use matched tubes..

There are many fine articles online - I would suggest that you read them..

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 0154 UTC »
Also, I have this issue, I have the load all the way down to 0 and anything slightly above that the output drops significantly. I have a 1.1 swr on my vertical antenna. Also, at this low load setting the tubes glow, they glow harder when I set it higher. Do you know how I can get it to where the tubes are not glowing and the power is not lost due to a tuning mismatch? I am operating at 6920 khz and the band setting is set to 40 meters.

Do you know how to properly tune a tube amp to resonance?
Does your plate current dip at all?
Tubes in amps are supposed to have glowing plates...just not too much for too long.... ;)

• Group W Bench
    • View Profile
    • Radio Pushka
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 0321 UTC »

Do you know how to properly tune a tube amp to resonance?
Does your plate current dip at all?
Tubes in amps are supposed to have glowing plates...just not too much for too long.... ;)
Yes, I get a resonance point out of the tunning range. I have the load at 0 and that's not enough, it needs to go under 0 for resonance. and the dip in plate current Is very small when i adjust the plate knob. yeah they glow when mistuned. I have tuned it before and it worked. It just won't tune into a perfect match on 6920. It can tune when the swr is over 1.5
вот пожалуйста!