We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Low Power Radio blog  (Read 2495 times)

Fansome

Low Power Radio blog
« on: March 20, 2009, 1822 UTC »
Posted to alt.radio.pirate. It looks like it might actually have some good stuff on it.

http://lowpowerradio.blogspot.com

Just added

1. Extensive tube transmitter manual with schematics and more

2. How to diagnose  audio problems

3. Review of Virtual Audio Cable software

Antennas, grounding, transmitters and more

http://lowpowerradio.blogspot.com

Offline gristle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Low Power Radio blog
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 0149 UTC »
Very cool find there fansom, Thanks!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 1830 UTC »
I bought genuine Ramsey FM 10 at a hamfest for 5 bucks. Now I've got a blog that can teach me how to rock the block with it.

Surprisingly I was getting about a 1/4 mile of coverage,stock,with the thing and a 5ft wire in the window when I checked it out.

If I can get the tuning semi-stable,I'm going to give to a disabled friend at a high rise. With the height from his balcony,he can have nine kinds of fun staying well within legal limits

Offline mr. mike

• West Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 0220 UTC »
According to one of the guys at frn.net if you want to make the FM-10 stable you have to replace all of the mica capacitors with plastic ones, mount it in a metal box, and let it warm up for a couple minutes before broadcasting. The nice thing with the FM-10 is that it's simple enough to allow for a number of mods, add-ons and other bells and whistles.
"I will not be filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered." - Number 6

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 0049 UTC »
It was fairly stable after warm-up before I replaced the caps,but it's solid after the mod. I've got an old disk drive case I think it will fit in.

I've had a lot of fun playing around with it. Using an el cheapo EQ  I've been getting some nice sounding audio out of it.

I'd never messed with FM before. If you lived in a densely populated neighborhood/town you could have a nice sized potential audience with a homemade antenna staying well within legal Part-15 power.

I'd thought the micro-radio guys were nuts all this time?