We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Interesting Amateur Radio Connection in this 60 Minutes Australia Story  (Read 930 times)

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Mr Godfrey is using what has been coined "GDTAAA" (Global Detection & Tracking any Aircraft Anywhere Anytime) and (as far as I can tell) it relies on disturbances in the SNR of WSPR transmissions to "follow" the aircraft path. I have not had time to read all the stuff on this but as I understand it, his GDTAAA tracking lines up with the satellite tracking to some or a complete extent.

Here is his blog: https://www.mh370search.com/2021/12/31/mh370-flight-path/

Here is the first part of a report that he wrote on this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4fn8eec4z9np0z/GDTAAA%20WSPRnet%20MH370%20Analysis%20Flight%20Path%20Report.pdf?dl=0
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Yeah. I know very little about radar but I am quite dubious of this method.

What I do know about OTHR is that it needs a very tightly-controlled set of conditions to work and I am doubtful that this is achieved with passive WSPR analysis, per the German author you linked to. The little bit that has been disclosed about his method(s) isn't that revolutionary in terms of signal analysis and if it were that good, then it would have been more widely in use already with much higher SNR signals.

Godfrey's follow up paper (which will not be as attention grabbing) better be chock full of proof of method validation results, hundreds of pages and many, many results from many, many different aircraft in a variety of conditions, etc., etc. 50/50 chance that he will claim that his algorithm, which relies on his simple little laptop post-processing a bunch of MATLAB files, is "proprietary" and he can't release it, which would have allowed others to validate his algorithm. Cold fusion, anyone?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 0034 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline M R I

• View Profile
I watched many videos on MH370. Like any high profile mystery some are trying to use whatever they can to solve it. Leading to a new search and find.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com