We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Poll

What do you use as your primary antenna?

Whip antenna in radio
2 (2.8%)
Random wire (longwire)
19 (26.8%)
Dipole
13 (18.3%)
Inverted Vee
5 (7%)
T2FD
2 (2.8%)
Small Loop
9 (12.7%)
Sky Loop
4 (5.6%)
Rhombic
1 (1.4%)
Active Antenna
5 (7%)
Multiband with traps
3 (4.2%)
G5RV
3 (4.2%)
Full Wave Loop
4 (5.6%)
BOG Beverage On Ground
0 (0%)
Phased BOG
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: POLL: What type of antenna do you use?  (Read 15961 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: What type of antenna do you use?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 1727 UTC »
I'm using what I guess would be a delta loop 30 feet out from bedroom window to a tree. about 50 feet from the tree to another tree. this leg has a coil of about 35 loops of 14g wire around a piece of pvc in it. the third leg goes about 40 feet from the 2'nd tree back to the house. it is fed into a random wire tuner.
Sometimes I use an MFJ 1026 noise canceling unit as an active antenna. I'm too lazy to get out and put up proper noise antenna for the '1026. it works pretty well as an active antenna with just the built in whip.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 2318 UTC »
Depending on what band I'm on, I use a Kaito active loop antenna.  It works quite well for MW and SW DXing, but my little DX-398 has such a tendency to overload that I pull the antenna and just use the built-in whip if I'm going anywhere near LW. 

One of these years (and this is true, not just idle daydreaming) I'm going to move to a bigger place, and then there will be a balcony-mounted antenna, landlord permitting.  If the mount is light enough to clamp or be magnetized to the rail/floor, I can't see a landlord objecting too strenuously.  Now I'm pondering antennae to use in that situation.  Hmm. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 0104 UTC »
Depending on what band I'm on, I use a Kaito active loop antenna.  It works quite well for MW and SW DXing, but my little DX-398 has such a tendency to overload that I pull the antenna and just use the built-in whip if I'm going anywhere near LW. 

One of these years (and this is true, not just idle daydreaming) I'm going to move to a bigger place, and then there will be a balcony-mounted antenna, landlord permitting.  If the mount is light enough to clamp or be magnetized to the rail/floor, I can't see a landlord objecting too strenuously.  Now I'm pondering antennae to use in that situation.  Hmm. 

GOOGLE:  LF Engineering and look up their H-800 and H-900 models. Price is OK. $149.00 new. There may be some used offered in the secondary market. One reviewer remarked it equaled a 50' outside dipole.

+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 0134 UTC »
Wow, thanks!  I hadn't a clue, and that sounds a) reasonably priced compared to some and b) impressive!  :) 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 0146 UTC »
I initially went ot eBay and saw some SWL antennas but they seemed to of a "homebrew" flavor. I never saw a review though. MFJ makes a HF antenna for balconies, etc. Again, I never saw a review.  Good luck!   ...Steve
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 1925 UTC »
Active Pixel loop, multiband dipole and longwire (which never gets used).
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")