We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Question about ordering aluminum tubing  (Read 1781 times)

Elf36

Question about ordering aluminum tubing
« on: February 21, 2022, 2329 UTC »
I'm thinking about making a vertical for 30M. Where would be the best place to get the tubing from? I know the shipping is probably gonna be more than I want to spend, but what do you do. If I reach out to the company that I'm ordering from, will they tell me the best size of tubing that would be self-supporting based on the complete length of the antenna? Thanks

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Question about ordering aluminum tubing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 0901 UTC »
1/4-wave vertical over radials? Considered fiberglass or PVC supporting a wire instead of aluminum. You could run a wire up a fiberglass telescoping pole used for fishing or a flag mast.

My S9v31 31' fiberglass vertical is freestanding, and it has help up okay in Florida weather. I have taken it down maybe twice when hurricanes were approaching the area.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 0922 UTC »
Yes indeed was going to suggest the same. Lots of suppliers around and a rather nice one is the spiderbeam 12m one, not the cheapest and more suited to portable ops.

Ali wise you'll need swaged poles so they interlock. I've used those too but they are a bit cumbersome.

Let us know what you find..

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 1218 UTC »
If you really want to go with aluminum tubing, DX Engineering has a selection of tubing:

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/part-type/aluminum-tubing

Another alternative is the Hygain AV18-VS antenna.  It sells for about $200 and is really nothing more than a vertical aluminum antenna, with a loading coil at the base.

The S9v31 approach seems to work well for many.  DX Engineering also sells fiberglass tubing if you elect to follow this path.

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 2048 UTC »
The Answer is DX Engineering.

The question was - where can I buy this stuff, not does anyone have a better idea...

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 2350 UTC »
Most of us are rather easy going here, so we (including the OP) routinely bounce ideas back and forth, particularly based upon our own experiences. :)

For example, Elf and I share similar operating environments, so I am glad to tell him based upon my experience with a S9v31 that a suitable fiberglass telescoping antenna or mast should work fine for a simple 30m 1/4-wave vertical; short of encountering hurricane-force winds.

More importantly, he can accomplish what he wants - to operate on 30m - for a potentially more cost effective value. That is more resources he could perhaps put towards the mobile HF setup he has been considering.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 0422 UTC »
We have a local vendor that sells aluminum tubing in telescoping sizes.  Both my verticals run on this stuff, and its what I would recommend.  Shipping will kill you price wise, so look for a local vendor.  In most cases, some ham supplier outlets can point you in the right direction.  I think it cost me about $150 in tubing to build my current 55' vertical, not including the base and feed components.

DX engineering is VERY expensive for what you get.  If you don't have any machining skills or tools though, it may be one of the few options.  About the only thing I buy from them is their vertical base assemblies, and the buggers don't even include the mounting bolts!

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Elf36

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 1251 UTC »
Thanks for the info. I was able to find some telescoping fiberglass sections.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 1831 UTC »
Yes! Even tho it wasn't what you initially wanted you'll find it's a lot simpler, lighter etc. I use an Ali base of 2-3 spigoted poles with a 12m fiberglass top, gives a 14m overall length. The antenna wire can run up the inside and the Ali btm bit has a CS screw and lug to solder to. Just feed the btm of the Ali section with your signal. You can use solid fiberglass, hard plastic or even varnished wooden dowel to insulate the btm.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)