We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Another Version of the Hump near the WBCQ 4790, 0050 UTC 24 Feb. 2022  (Read 1286 times)

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
This seems to be very short pulses of RF.  In AM mode, the audio is a buzz.  It is just below WBCQ 4790.  Maybe another HFT signal?  Here is the screen shot of my AirSpy HF +

Thanks for any help on this one.

It is strong and buzzing away at 2344 UTC 24 Feb.  2022.  WBCQ may have an interference problem.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 2344 UTC by JustGreg »
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Another Version of the Hump near the WBCQ 4790, 0050 UTC 24 Feb. 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 1347 UTC »
This is most likely HFT (High Frequency Trading) signal.  After clearing the driveway of snow, 1330 25 Feb UTC, it was still there, reduced by there.  The upper data signal at 4798 was also present.  Now that I have idea of what they are, I have been seeing more and more.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 1957 UTC »
To me this looks like Chinese radar.  Would need an audio recording to confirm.  The radar and the HFT PSK data can look similar on a waterfall, but they sound different.  The radar has more of a buzz while the HFT data has something of a hiss.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 2142 UTC »
I heard that too well during the WBCQ relays of The Underground JAM. So, it's not just here in West Virginia, but what the hell is that?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 0134 UTC »
ThaDood, do a search via your favorite engine on High Frequency Trading.  It should give you the information on the latest way of making money with computers, something like Bit Coin Mining.  The other search topic is "High Frequency Trading RF Networks"  or "High Frequency Trading Wireless Networks".  I hope this is a help to you.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com