We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Ukraine International 5010 AM 1200 utc 24 Feb 2022  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Radio Ukraine International 5010 AM 1200 utc 24 Feb 2022
« on: February 24, 2022, 1206 UTC »
Fair reception, English service.  WRMI had decided to carry RUI this week in wake of the military build up, daily except Friday.  Broadcast must have been recorded before attack.

1200 IS, OM "This is the English service of Radio Ukraine International"
1204 YL with warnings about what would happen if Ukraine was attacked
1207 Information regarding Donbas recognition as Independent by Russia.
1210 Actions/discussion of Ukraine ambassador at UN
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 1235 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Radio Ukraine International 5010 AM 1200 utc 24 Feb 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 1629 UTC »
Interesting. Looking at their programming grid, this is the only time (1200-1230 UTC) and frequency (5010 kHz) in use. Interesting choice of frequency (7:00-7:30am Eastern, after sunrise) and transmitter because that one beams to the south (azimuth 181°) from Okeechobee. What audience are they trying to reach? Cuba?

I'll program my SDR to see if it can catch a broadcast. Thanks for the post.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline HulkSmash

• Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 1715 UTC »
I tried listening this morning and I couldn't really make anything out. I'll try again tomorrow at 1200.
QSLs Appreciated! Send to: HulkSmashRadio@gmail.com

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 1716 UTC »
My thought is that they wanted to put the broadcast out (almost) daily as a public service.  They might have only had a paying broadcaster on Fridays for the time slot.  The time/azimuth/frequency is not an attractive sell, especially to reach North America.  Thus, they might be doing it at this time pro bono, sort of like Sunday morning public service programming.  They could have bumped their afternoon (east coast time) broadcasts of Radio Slovakia or Radio Prague for a period of time.

I have had correspondence with a program creator that uses WRMI to broadcast.  While not saying directly, the underlining theme is you pay for time but could be slotted for additional times at no cost if there was open slots. However, your additional broadcasts would be bumped for a paying customer interested in the time slot.  That is one reason recognizable broadcasts on WRMI will switch broadcast time/day/frequency.

Hulk - They won't broadcast program on Fridays.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 1722 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 1744 UTC »
My thought is that they wanted to put the broadcast out (almost) daily as a public service.  They might have only had a paying broadcaster on Fridays for the time slot.  The time/azimuth/frequency is not an attractive sell, especially to reach North America.  Thus, they might be doing it at this time pro bono, sort of like Sunday morning public service programming.  They could have bumped their afternoon (east coast time) broadcasts of Radio Slovakia or Radio Prague for a period of time.

I have had correspondence with a program creator that uses WRMI to broadcast.  While not saying directly, the underlining theme is you pay for time but could be slotted for additional times at no cost if there was open slots. However, your additional broadcasts would be bumped for a paying customer interested in the time slot.  That is one reason recognizable broadcasts on WRMI will switch broadcast time/day/frequency.

My thought is that the people needing this the most are Europeans, so I'd think that putting it on one of those beams would be more ideal, esp. since English is widely spoken and understood across that continent. I don't think you can say the same for Latin America. Maybe they have a very good reason unknown to us.

I think you're probably right about the Friday broadcast being paid for.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline HulkSmash

• Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 1829 UTC »

Thanks for the heads up about Friday. Appreciate it.
QSLs Appreciated! Send to: HulkSmashRadio@gmail.com

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 1705 UTC »
Not sure if everyone here knows, but on Saturday the 26th, Jeff White announced on WRMI's Facebook page that RUI's service was being interrupted, and that domestic Ukrainian service in that language would now be relayed in its place.

Currently playing back my recording of 5010 kHz, 1200 UTC from today the 28th of Feb, but rx was rough (right at the noise level with bits just breaking it) and it's impossible to tell what language it is, never mind anything else. I hope they add other relays - I can't imagine this being good for Ukrainians who are the audience who really need to receive this transmission.
Denver, CO.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns