We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Experiments with a floating beacon  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Radiotech

• View Profile
Experiments with a floating beacon
« on: February 28, 2022, 2102 UTC »
I was insipred by the fish net beacons, and thought about trying to build one my self. A indoor plumbing pipe fits the D-cell batteries really well. I printed out an end cap and a holder for a RF transmitter. Since a solar cell is hard to fit to the beacon, low power consumption is very important.

A Attiny45 has about 2-3mA of power draw, that gives about 6-8 months on a D-cell battery. I get 6 volts from 4 batteries, and can use a small DC step upp regulator to get a bit more power out. The DC step up adapter does how ever require 5 volts(and my batteries will be down on 4 volts during the last 25% of their life), and it has a idle current that draws energy from the battery.

Either i will fit the TX inside the pipe, or build a small head on it for more room. The pipe is Polypropylene plastic, its hard to glue and paint, but cheap and easy to work with. I looked for PVC piping, but couldnt find any in the same diameter. Most of the parts will halfto be press-fitt. I plan to have a floating collar at 80% of the length, and a short whip antenna.

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: Experiments with a floating beacon
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 1744 UTC »
Really awesome and fun idea!

For build ideas you can look at existing ocean buoy trackers such as these

surface drift tracker

videos

https://youtu.be/mY2X-ZQpnvY